You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Possible in AD: Align objects to a path

Is it possible in Designer to align a group of objects (in my case images) to a path (in my case a circle)? And is it possible to then set the orientation of those objects either in their normal way (in my case upright) or aligned to the path, meaning rotated according to the "angle" of the path?

33 minutes ago, Helmar said:

Is it possible in Designer to align a group of objects (in my case images) to a path (in my case a circle)? And is it possible to then set the orientation of those objects either in their normal way (in my case upright) or aligned to the path, meaning rotated according to the "angle" of the path?

In case of circle, it is easy with help of power duplicate.

You can use placeholder objects (e.g. rectangle shapes), and nest the actual images to them. The placeholders shoold be large enough for the larges object.

1. Create the circle
  2. create one rectangle at the 12‘ position of circle
  3. select move tool
  4. move the shape origin of rectangle to the center of the circle
  5. power duplicate
  6. use transform panel to rotate the shape by 360/no of images degree
  7. duplicate n times

then nest the images into the rectangular shapes. You may need to rotate them with help of move tool.

macros could speed up the process.

a simpler version is to use a star as helper object and snapping to easily adjust the images  manually.

E05BE720-8E82-49D3-B12B-BAB13FEE4450.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

5 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:
  1. create one rectangle at the 12‘ position of circle

Danke dir und LG nach Hamburg.  Eine Frage: Wie bekomme ich das Rechteck an die 12° Position? If I move the pointer along the circle, AD has no indicator telling me the angle I'm at.
Cheers,
Helmar

11 minutes ago, Helmar said:

Create a star with 30 spokes. 🙂

Genau. Anbei ein scheller Entwurf. Man kann das auf viele Arten perfektionieren.

Snapping ist wichtig - die richtigen Arten auswählen, z.b. Force Pixel Alignment würde stören und muss deaktiviert werden für solche arbeiten.

Ich hab einen Rahmen um die Hilfsobjekte gemach um die leichter zu sehen. Kann  man auch weglassen falls die stören.

Da ich grad auf iPad arbeite musste ich zusätzliche Hilfsobjekte anlegen, Affinity auf Desktop kann aber den Rotationspunkt der Rechtecke verschieben, das macht es einfacher.

circle image alignment.afphoto

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

6 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Genau. Anbei ein scheller Entwurf. Man kann das auf viele Arten perfektionieren.

Snapping ist wichtig - die richtigen Arten auswählen, z.b. Force Pixel Alignment würde stören und muss deaktiviert werden für solche arbeiten.

Ich hab einen Rahmen um die Hilfsobjekte gemach um die leichter zu sehen. Kann  man auch weglassen falls die Stören.

Da ich grad auf iPad arbeite musste ich zusätzliche Hilfsobjekte anlegen, Affinity auf Desktop kann aber den Rotationspunkt der Rechtecke verschieben, das macht es einfacher.

circle image alignment.afphoto

Bist n Schatz - danke dir! Ich habe "gelernt", dass die "Rechtecke" so breit sein müssen wie der Platz zwischen den Speichen, so dass - bei mir - nach 45 der Kreis geschlossen  ist. Das mit dem Rotationspunkt war "Gold".  Das hat es so viel einfacher gemacht, und anstatt nur einen Kreis zu haben, einfach einen Stern mit Speichen als Hilfsobjekt zeichnen.

English: I "learned" that the "rectangles" have to be as wide as the space between the spokes, so that - in my case - after 45 the circle is closed. The point of rotation thing was "gold".  It made it so much easier, and instead of just having a circle, just draw a star with spokes as an auxiliary object.

One last thing: Now that I have the 45 rectangles around the cirlces, I have to past objects into it. Is there an option to fit the pasted object into the rectangle, ideally at the respective angle?

Noch ein Tipp: bevor Du mit dem Duplizieren anfängst, gib den Rechtecken eine Ebenen Farbmarkierung. Dann kannst Du diese  später leicht mit einem click auswählen und gemeinsam die Größe, Rahmen etc anpassen.

3 minutes ago, G13RL said:

@Helmar,

First, calculate the width that the pictures should be in relation to the perimeter of the circle. Then place them one by one on top of the circle and use "Ctrl/Cmd + J" to distribute them around the circle. Delete the photos covering the ones already placed as you go along.

2022-03-05_133706.jpg

Awesome! Thanks so much!

So much fun to play with it.

I borrowed a picture frame layer from Publisher, and added a crescent mask (made by 2 circles and subtract).

The picture frame layer preservers the rotation for an image put into.

If you start with a simple ellipse shape (circle), nested images stay horizontally adjusted.

If there is interest, I could upload some resources for re-use.

To be found here:

circle shapes.jpg

Edited by NotMyFault
added link to assets