You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save guides with variables

When I start a new document, I always begin by adding a few guides:

• width/2
  • width/3
  • width/3*2
  • same for height

Some people may even want to add more guides than that.

It would be awesome if there was a way to add halves and thirds, maybe quarters by a simple click, or alternatively, a way to save guide setups (with 'h' and 'w' as variables, since not every document has the same size, of course). Another alternative would be to simply have a few best-practice setups that can be added with a single click.

1 hour ago, Liak said:

Another alternative would be to simply have a few best-practice setups that can be added with a single click.

You can create a setup you like, and use File > Export as Template. You can then use the Templates section of the File > New dialog, rather than the Presets section and you'll start with everything from your Template document.

https://affinity.help/publisher/en-US.lproj/pages/GetStarted/templates.html

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
    Laptop 2: Windows 11 Pro 24H2,  16GB memory, Snapdragon(R) X Elite - X1E80100 - Qualcomm(R) Oryon(TM) 12 Core CPU 4.01 GHz, Qualcomm(R) Adreno(TM) X1-85 GPU
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.7, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.7

Yes, I could create a template for every format I frequently use. But that always uses the same size, doesn't it? I would like to create any kind of document (A4, social media posts, a flyer, you name it) and add, like, center lines or thirds to it fast—you know, just guides that are widely used anyway and useful for many different designs regardless of their type. 

I mean, there are some best-practice crop settings as well, why not have something similar for guides?

• 2 weeks later...

For those who are impaitient and want a quick workaround, or need a quick grid visible in the document itself.

The file below contains a procedural texture filter. Copy / paste it into your document as top layer.

You can select the grid in the input parameters (x and y, color and brightness of grid).

Unfortunately, grid is only optically and does not snap. No suitable when zoomed out (at least 1px lines must be visible).

Further extensions are possible (e.g. shift start coordinates, margins, gutter, different colors for x and y....)

Screenshot 2022-02-28 at 22.37.29.png

x y grid.afphoto

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.