You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I want "Alpha protect" for smudge tool etc - in context toolbar. Wannawannawanna!

Still digging AP, with a lot of use every day.

Love the "alpha protect" tickbox for brush tool!
So much that I want it for smudge tool, and erase tool too. And possibly for other brush tools that I havent even used or understood yet..

This would add consistency of use for AP, no? And no added clutter too? Since its already there for brush tool.

23 hours ago, Nils-Petter Olsen said:

Love the "alpha protect" tickbox for brush tool!
So much that I want it for smudge tool, and erase tool too.

Erase brush tool?

Alpha protect prevents modifications to the alpha channel and the eraser tool works by modifying the alpha channel.
Im afraid they are incompatible.

Have you tried disabling the edit alpha channel in channels panel?

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

What NotMyFault said. Open the Channels panel and then disable the pen icon on the Alpha channel to get that effect across all layers with all the tools. Think of it as a global version of what exists in Photoshop where you disable the Alpha editing on only one channel.

I do hope they add more options for toggling this like individual tools and individual layers in the Layers panel like in Photoshop, however.

• 7 months later...

I never would've thought to go into the channels palette to turn off the Composite Alpha edit option to accomplish this- thanks for the tip.

That being said, I think it would be great if they took Photoshop's approach and added an option to alpha protect each individual layer from the Layers panel.