You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text flow within paragraphs / Publisher

Hello, I'm coming from InDesign and I can't find a right way for the textflow within a paragraph.

I use a Master Page and paragraph control for the last two lines. But there seems to be a page break which I don't see. Here are some pictures.

grafik.png.64eafac518e6d851907e6519d5b22985.png

Exampel 1

grafik.png.4bac9e450ed3f8c2a9725a4138aafadc.png

Exampel 2

grafik.png.48d5e743fd6a969f64c4b779257c9b1e.png

Paragraph control

What I see is: on the next page there are 2 lines like defined. But the page before there is such a lot of space with places for more than 2 lines.

So, why is theer a page break on the wrong position. I can't see a pagebreak symbol at the end of the line.

I attached a picture of the master page as well.

Any hints?

Thanks.

Detlef

grafik.png

Just a guess: Place the text cursor in the paragraph (or alternatively select the text frame) that is wrongly separated and look if "Absatz zusammenhalten" is checked.

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

Looking at your first marked spot, let's try an experiment:

1. There is certainly room for the final 2 lines of that paragraph. So, try moving them up from the next page.
  2. At that point, the next paragraph is only 1 line ("Vatter, butte") and it will fit. So move it up, too.
  3. Then there is room for 2 more lines on the page with your baseline grid, but the next paragraph is 3 lines long. 

At that point, if we move 2 lines of that paragraph up, we leave an orphan line. So we can't do that.

So, we must leave a small gap, and leave the next paragraph ("Nein, went du ...") on the next page.

But, at that point we need to consider the 1-line paragraph we moved in step 2. It cannot be the last line on the page, because of your "Keep with next 2 lines" specification. So we must also leave it on the next page.

At that point I get a bit lost, and I cannot explain why we don't perform step 1 above. But I think what I've said so far shows some of the effects of the flow options you've chosen. A similar analysis/experiment can probably be done for the next spot you've marked, but I haven't done that one.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks, Walt. You are right that it has to do with my flow option. Now I deaktivated this "Keep with next 2 lines" and the pagebreaks are gone. I thought, this was the option to make sure there is no 1-line (first or last line of a bigger paragraph) at the top of the page and at the bottom at the page. But anyway, now its better as before and I have to watch the top and botton of each page.

3 hours ago, Detlefk said:

... Now I deaktivated this "Keep with next 2 lines" and the pagebreaks are gone. I thought, this was the option to make sure there is no 1-line (first or last line of a bigger paragraph) at the top of the page and at the bottom at the page. 

You can turn control those with the Widows and Orphans checkboxes. 

"Keep with next n lines" is useful for preventing a heading appearing on its own at the bottom of a page. You will usually want a heading to have some text following it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Detlefk said:

this option is not available. I saw a hint for that on the help pages, but it't not in my version.

If you're referring to his suggestion of the Widows and Orphans options, they're the 2nd and 4th options in the Paragraph Flow Options:

Here's an English screenshot from the Paragraph panel:

image.png.8ef7b62a37fa626d07617d53f5a6e359.png

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Thanks, that's what I thought. But if I activate the option for the last lines than I got the pagebreak on a wrong position. According your answer before, @walt.farrell, I figured out, that the number of lines has to be 0 (zero) for the right pagebreak. Every other number and the pagebreak does not work correctly.

Yes, the number of lines needs to be 0 for you.

Enabling the option for Orphaned First Lines and for Widowed Last Lines can also cause some disruption, though perhaps not as much. It all depends on your paragraph order and the number of lines in the paragraphs. If you have 9 lines left on the page, and you have a paragraph with 10 lines, then you're going to have a nine line gap if you prevent widows. At that point you have to take some manual action, such as accepting the gap, or using a different paragraph style for that paragraph, or rewriting the paragraph.

(Mostly I made my last post because you said you didn't have the options at all, and you should have them. They just may not work for your document.)

-- Walt
PC:

My problem may be related to this one. My pages look similar, but I have part of the text oversized. If I make this text 12 pt like the rest of the paragraph, another part of the paragraph goes to 1,7 pt. I tried to remove the previous and next paragraphs, then import them again from the original Word document, and I get the same behaviour. 

This happened already before on another text, but I do not remember how I cured it. 

Do you have a clue for me.

Thanks

Bug d'affichage.pdf

1 hour ago, Jean-LucBr said:

I solved my problem by copy-paste the paragraph again and delete the old one. 

There was probably a Word code hidden in the paragraph. 

Thanks anyway.

The common causes are:

1. A user error, using the outer (disconnected handle on lower right) to scale a Text Frame).

2. An unresolved bug when using IDML files.

3. Pasting a Text Frame from a document with a different DPI.

4. Some other unknown bug.

-- Walt
PC: