You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iPad space occupied by deleted files?

DiegoIta

Hi everyone and happy new year first,

here is my issue: if I open a photo from file app or Apple photos and close it without saving anything, is it correct that the latter appears in the list of iPad file space accessible from the control panel?
In Preferences I chose to save files in my iPad but these are files that I don't want to save and this way I have to remove them "manually" as you can see. 
Affinity photo 1.10.3 on iPados 15.2

thanks

14 minutes ago, DiegoIta said:

but these are files that I don't want to save and this way I have to remove them "manually"

Yes, that's how it works. When you Open a file in an Affinity application a working copy is made and saved in the project directory for the application. When you no longer need it, you need to Close it from the application.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

21 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, that's how it works. When you Open a file in an Affinity application a working copy is made and saved in the project directory for the application. When you no longer need it, you need to Close it from the application.

It’s what I’ve done, I closed it as you can see but the copy it’s still there (even if I restart iPadOS). 

11 hours ago, DiegoIta said:

It’s what I’ve done, I closed it as you can see but the copy it’s still there (even if I restart iPadOS). 

Hmmm, mine seems to do the same in Photo but not in Designer. I think this maybe a bug for the Devs to look at when they return to work. None of these documents are on my AP home screen now.

16F6DC03-3208-4356-A954-D679BCA78C38.jpeg

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

• Staff

Hi @DiegoIta,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here, we were extremely busy over the Christmas period and working from home during the pandemic is unfortunately extending our response window to be longer than normal, many thanks for your continued patience and understanding here.

On 1/4/2022 at 10:04 AM, Paul Mudditt said:
On 1/3/2022 at 10:12 PM, DiegoIta said:

Hmmm, mine seems to do the same in Photo but not in Designer. I think this maybe a bug for the Devs to look at when they return to work. None of these documents are on my AP home screen now.

I've been able to reproduce this here in both Photo and Designer - it appears to affect all file types, and is not specific to loading from 'Files' / a cloud location, but only occurs when using the Shortcut to load the image into the app.

If you open an image directly within the App (either by selecting the 'Plus' icon on the homescreen, or opening an image from Files - but not using a custom shortcut) then this file is not created/visible in your iPad Storage Settings.

I'm logging this directly with our developers now to be investigated further, as I'm not 100% certain how the Shortcuts app functions, or why this would be different from the usual method of opening images within the app.

Many thanks for your report and I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!