You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

An error occurred while exporting to pdf - Affinity Publisher 1.10.4.1198

Hi. I am working on a project using Affinity Publisher.

I tried to export my document(.afpub) file to PDF, but I keep getting the following error message:

An error occurred while exporting to: [path]

Please help.

Edited by sssms

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

You might enable PDFLib Logging, and see if the log file reveals any details of the problem:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Trying to interpret the log file, this appears to be a parsing error where the referred FontOutline property is missing the ending brace possibly because of internal braces used in the path definition. It is difficult to say whether this could be a genuine bug or something specific to e.g. font, but you can try to fix this by checking the use of stroke property on page 3 where you have used Cafe24Ohsquare font in text.

It does seem to be something about the Cafe24Ohsquare font. I'm suspicious of the 2nd line that I show below, for two reasons:

1. There's a space in the middle of the font name, when compared with the 1st line.
  2. Just guessing, but the ",700" may indicate the use of a Variable font, which are not supported by Affinity.
PDF_load_font(p_0x000001C4FCCD1220, "Cafe24Ohsquare", /*c*/0, "glyphid", "readkerning=false readfeatures=false readselectors=false readshaping=false errorpolicy=return embedding=true subsetlimit=90% subsetminsize=50")
[-1]
PDF_load_font(p_0x000001C4FCCD1220, "Cafe24 Ohsquare,700", /*c*/0, "glyphid", "readkerning=false readfeatures=false readselectors=false readshaping=false errorpolicy=return embedding=true subsetlimit=90% subsetminsize=50")
[-1]
PDF_set_option(p_0x000001C4FCCD1220, "FontOutline={{Cafe24Ohsquare}={C:\\USERS\\POSEIDON\\APPDATA\\ROAMING\\PROGRAM\\COMMON\\DATA\\{5BF53A77-2F75-9219-61A6-D5D68DB1B509}\\{324B9AD7-86A4-CC7A-5437-E682222E9F79}\\5485F2C6EA3A55EA409BE8DF20DFA28B}}")
[Last exception 1472 in PDF_set_option]["Option 'FontOutline': Opening brace '{' is missing within the value '{{Cafe24Ohsquare}={C:\USERS\POSEIDON\APPDATA\ROAMING\PROGRAM\COMMON\DATA\{5BF53A77-2F75-9219-61A6-D5D68DB1B509}\{324B9AD7-86A4-CC7A-5437-E682222E9F79}\5485F2C6EA3A55EA409BE8DF20DFA28B}'"]

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

@walt.farrell

Thanks for your reply.

I've changed all the fonts in my file but still having issues exporting to PDF.

Attached is the log file. Can you check this file again?

errorlog.txt

I think this part below would be the error but I have no idea about the "FontOutline" thing.

PDF_set_option(p_0x0000020753C93C20, "FontOutline={{SDNemony2gObliqueLt}={C:\\USERS\\POSEIDON\\APPDATA\\ROAMING\\PROGRAM\\COMMON\\DATA\\{5BF53A77-2F75-9219-61A6-D5D68DB1B509}\\{324B9AD7-86A4-CC7A-5437-E682222E9F79}\\3E09975C95627BBD53007124F250D86D}}")
[Last exception 1472 in PDF_set_option]["Option 'FontOutline': Opening brace '{' is missing within the value '{{SDNemony2gObliqueLt}={C:\USERS\POSEIDON\APPDATA\ROAMING\PROGRAM\COMMON\DATA\{5BF53A77-2F75-9219-61A6-D5D68DB1B509}\{324B9AD7-86A4-CC7A-5437-E682222E9F79}\3E09975C95627BBD53007124F250D86D}'"]

Edited by sssms

This time the error is on page 2 and in trying to load a font called "SDNemony2gObliqueLt"). In my previous post I mistakenly thought the error would have something to do with the stroke attribute, but "outline" simply just referst to font type, so the code fails to load the mentioned font used in the text on page 2. The error itself is related to mismatched brace pairs and I am not sure why it happens but it is related to the way the fonts on your system are installed (or possibly to the font files themselves).

I've never seen font names like the ones you're using. Where did you get them, and how did you install them?

Does it work if you use more "normal" (for want of a better word) fonts, such as Arial?

Also, what is the install path you used for Publisher? I'm a bit suspicious about that "PROGRAM" in the middle of the pathname.

-- Walt
PC:

@Lagarto@walt.farrell

I'm using Cloud font service, not installed software font. and I've installed Affinity publisher in Downloads. 

I think this would be solved if i change all the fonts to Arial which is already installed in my Windows Computer software but I need to use this Cloud Font service due to my project.

Cloud font company assumes this problem would be affinity publisher's internal problem because of the error message Opening brace '{' is missing within the value.

Does affinity publisher do something with the path AppData\Roaming\Program\Common\Data when I'm using Cloud font service with affinity publisher?

19 hours ago, sssms said:

Cloud font company assumes this problem would be affinity publisher's internal problem because of the error message Opening brace '{' is missing within the value.

Does affinity publisher do something with the path AppData\Roaming\Program\Common\Data when I'm using Cloud font service with affinity publisher?

This seems to be a correct conclusion (though the actual problem is one caused by PDFlib). Have you experienced similar problems with other apps that use the same fonts? As it is, I think you need to convert text typeset with these fonts to outlines to be able to use them unrasterized.

Have you tried if you can use the PDF font embedding export option "Text as Curves" without an error to export a PDF:

export_option_text_to_curves.png.3ee7148c74532997397f8ece44dabfde.png

This would increase the export file size but might be acceptable work around especially in print production where text does not necessarily need to be retained as text. EDIT: If this is not possible, I think the only ways to resolve the problem would be converting the text objects causing problems to curves (Layer > Convert to Curves), or rasterize them (Layer > Rasterize).

You're welcome.

Just out of interest, did you manage to resolve the actual issue with installation path, so that you now can use these fonts with Affinity apps and export them, or did you just manage to use a workaround (like converting the fonts to curves) to get your PDFs exported?

6 minutes ago, sssms said:

I guess font was the problem with the PDF export, not the installation path

Thanks for the update. If you need to convert these fonts to curves to be able to use them, I think that there is a genuine problem in using these fonts as cloud fonts with Affinity apps. Can you use these fonts with other apps?

I noticed that these fonts can also be downloaded as regular TTF fonts and then installed as any other font, and they (e.g. Cafe24Ohsquare) can be used normally with Affinity apps without problems with PDF export (this mey be important if you need to have text as text in your PDFs, e.g. to allow users to find text in them.

• 10 months later...
  • Staff

Can you both please create a new thread regarding issues in V2? This will help our team to find and assist with your issue much easier.

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I`m with the same problem  error while exporting to pdf ...

The scenario
A simple file, 4 pages only with few images from ~stock palette~ Arial font and nothing special
except the anchors and hyperlinks that I need for this special project

Affinity Team, please take a closer look - in short

with anchors and hyperlinks  = error

without anchors and hyperlinks = normal export.

win10 and affinity publisher 1.10.5.1342

• Staff

Hi @silvio r.,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble - this will be a file specific issue, so can you please attach a copy of your .afpub, alongside a screenshot of your export settings, including the 'More' dialog?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

@Dan C, maybe the PDF export log can be made accessible from a dedicated menu command? To avoid clutter, it can be generated and deleted in the background, and shown only on request. This type of log is unfortunately more often needed that one would hope.

Paolo

On 12/30/2021 at 7:58 PM, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

You might enable PDFLib Logging, and see if the log file reveals any details of the problem:

On 11/23/2022 at 7:45 PM, Emily Fowl said:

Hiya! I've also encountered this error, which is peculiar, considering the export worked just fine over the weekend on the very same file. I've only added some more text since then. I've run the recommended PDFLibLogging, which I'll try to attach now.

link to the txt file in drive, i failed to attach it directly

SAME EXPERIENCE HERE. IT JUST SUDDENLY WON'T EXPORT. USED THE SAME FONT BEFORE AND HAD NO PROBLEMS EXPORTING INTO PDF, BUT NOW I'M SUDDENLY HAVING THIS ERROR. HELP PLEASE

4 hours ago, Dong said:

SAME PROBLEM HERE!

An error occurred while exporting to:

Which application are you using, and which version?

-- Walt
PC: