You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How "reliable" is importing an InDesign file into Affinity Designer or Publisher?

Other users may be able to help with the reliability question, but the first thing to note is that the Affinity apps can only open IDML files, not INDD files.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

Other users may be able to help with the reliability question, but the first thing to note is that the Affinity apps can only open IDML files, not INDD files.

That's all right.  I can't tell what format by the description:  Classic A3 Newspaper Template | Creative InDesign Templates ~ Creative Market

I've never used a template before.  I take that back.  I did buy a restaurant menu APub one way back when to see if I could learn anything from it but it had no master pages, etc...  I think it was just a port from InDesign.

I could do it from scratch or use ArtiFex Forge's Vintage Newspaper if she needs something like that.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

We've found that many users use IDMarkz to use InDesign Templates (indt) in Affinity Publisher. InDesign has been around forever, so there are tons of free and paid templates out there for it. Most of the templates will be in indt format, which Affinity Publisher isn't able to open. IDMarkz can convert those files to IDML and open them in Affinity Publisher.

IDMarkz is sold as both a macOS and Windows application. And can be purchased with a perpetual (forever) or subscription (annual) license. It's not free, but for $149, you can have peace of mind knowing that you can quickly convert any of your existing InDesign files to Affinity Publisher.

Use Promo Code IDMSE for 15% off through January 2022.

IDMarkz SE for Windows product page
IDMarkz for macOS product page
Comparison page