You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi

If I have 3 layers in a document, all visible, when I merge down why do the three layers not get deleted if merge creates a 4th layer. What do I do with those layers that are no longer needed? Deleting them each time to clear up the layers window is a real pain!

Cheers........

• 4 months later...

When I merge selected. It does not merge destructively, leaving me with a single layer. It keeps both layers. They now turn on and off together, but there is not a single merged layer.

I want to create a temporary layer in multiply mode, do some shading, erase the edges of the shading, and then merge that shading onto the layer below.

I cannot select merge down. It is not visible/selectable in the menu. If I merge two selected layers, they still show as two layers, not a single merged layer.

I don't want a bunch of temp layers cluttering up the layers panel. I just want to commit the temp layer to a merged result.

If I merge visible, I'm still left with the two layers that I merged showing. Now I have to delete those two layers.

I just want a simple destructive merge without having to clean up lots of unnecessary layers. I want to destroy the layers I started with, or have the option to.

Any ideas on how to do this?

I had a try. I right clicked on the first layer and chose rasterize.

Then I right clicked on the top layer and chose merge down.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2