You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF Blacked out when printing in color?

I would think it is down to the way the PDF is constructed using Image layers, find those in the layers panel and try rasterizing them and then printing. Or just Print from a PDF reader, it appears to my eye that you haven't actually done any drawing on the diagram.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

58 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

it appears to my eye that you haven't actually done any drawing on the diagram

Thanks - the entire diagram is all done using Affinity Designer, I drew all the pieces.

What I'm noticing is the use of the drop shadow / box shadow in the effects panel on layers. It seems like it's getting confused trying to rasterize that, but only on color?

See below for my settings - they are pretty much stock I haven't changed much here.

Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 12.45.01 PM.png

8 minutes ago, Sackadelic said:

What I'm noticing is the use of the drop shadow / box shadow in the effects panel on layers. It seems like it's getting confused trying to rasterize that, but only on color?

Any effects will automatically cause rasterisation of the underlying graphics though I'm unsure why it's only affecting colour export, are you able to upload the file so we can take a look?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2430)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

13 minutes ago, Sackadelic said:

Thanks - the entire diagram is all done using Affinity Designer, I drew all the pieces.

So are those photos of the printed wiring diagrams copies of the pickup wiring diagram I saw on the Fralin website?

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

9 minutes ago, Hangman said:

are you able to upload the file so we can take a look

Yes! See attached for an example.

5 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

So are those photos of the printed wiring diagrams copies of the pickup wiring diagram I saw on the Fralin website?

That's correct. We printed them off on both our black and white laser printer and a coworker's color printer.

Humbucker Single Coil Tele With Resistor.pdf

That is not what is showing in the two photos. Looks like an interesting way to wire them up though. And top marks for the soldering, very clean.

The PDF is not going to be of much use to troubleshoot what is going wrong with actual Designer file. I think a screen shot (or several) of the Layers panel would help if you don't want to share the original Designer file. Make sure to show expanded effected layers.

36 minutes ago, Sackadelic said:

the entire diagram is all done using Affinity Designer, I drew all the pieces.

As in the versions in your original screenshots? The pdf posted is of course from the Fralin website as @Old Bruce pointed out and that prints with no problems in colour so as @Old Bruce say's, we would need to see your Affinity Designer file to be able to troubleshoot effectively...

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2430)

@Sackadelic Your file, exported to a PDF using the same settings prints as expected here in colour so there may be an issue with your printer driver. What printer are you printing to?

1 minute ago, Hangman said:

What printer are you printing to?

It was actually a co-worker's printer, so this may just be isolated to his setup. I'm not sure what he's using, but I'll ask him to try to update and try again. Thanks for the help and taking the time to debug this with me.

For what it is worth I would make a copy For Printing and would try printing after rasterizing the layers and groups with the fx on them.

4 minutes ago, Sackadelic said:

I'm not sure what he's using, but I'll ask him to try to update and try again.

I guess the proof of the pudding would be to simply try printing to an alternative printer if you or your co-worker have access to one, hopefully that will confirm that all is working as expected.