You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help Please with Non Destructive Boolean Operations

Dear All,

I've watched the subject tutorial video, which is only 25s long, a few dozen times; I just can't follow it (some narrative would have been good).  It's fascinating that you seem to be able to do the boolean operation (+ or -) in real time.  At some point in the process (video) the boolean operation indicator appears in the layers pallet (which you can then change from + to - etc); I can't replicate this also.  I just don't get what I'm missing.

For simplicity, I create a square vector object and then another object, which I overlap with the first.  I select both and then I use the appropriate boolean addition button and the new 'compound' shape is born.  I then can't see a way (as appears the case in the video) where I can select one of the original shapes and move it so that the 'compound' shape changes in real time.

I hope that makes sense to someone :-)

Grateful for any guidance.

Regards

Chris

Very helpful tip!

However, I'd like to vote for things to be the opposite: non-destructive Boolean operations should be the default (non-Option), and committing the compound to a new shape -- since you can only do that once! -- should be a separate explicit action. The assumption should be that the designer would like to keep adjusting compound shapes until the last moment.

Adobe's solution is to make Combine, Subtract, Intersect, and Exclude non-destructive, and then "Merge Shape Components" is its own separate action.

Anyway, can't hurt to ask. :)

I still cannot figure out the "non-destructive" boolean shapes. I've also watched the video several times and I do not have the boolean buttons in my layers palette anywhere. Only the buttons at the top toolbar and holding opt./alt. does nothing. Why do I not have the boolean options in my layers palette like the video!?

Thank you

• Staff

hisartwork,

Follow this steps:

1. draw a circle and a rectangle

2. select both

3. hold alt key while clicking on the Add button in the context toolbar on top

4. At this point you already have a compound object (non destructive boolean operation). Now expand the layer where the circle and the rectangle were.

4. You should see a new layer there called (compound). Expand that layer. You should now see both original objects, one of them with an icon that allow you to change the type of boolean operation applied right in the layers panel.

Wow, that's nice … just tried it as described by you, MEB and am smiling while dragging my two circles around.

Even works with another object and a second, nested operation.

Only, I cannot find any hints about the trick with the ALT button: when hovering over the buttons the status bar still shows how to drag and move objects rather than additionsl tooltips in regard of the button I am hovering over.

• 2 years later...