You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iPad Designer: can it show where placed images are on the iPad?

I guess the corresponding tool would be Links in a page layout program. I’m assuming that in Designer, Placed raster images are in fact placed, and not parsed.

Once a raster image is placed in Designer, is there a link from Designer, through iPad OS, to the image file? Or is the image somehow tucked into the Designer file?

FWIW, the use scenario is: I placed an image in a Designer layout and wanted to touch out some schmutz in the photo. Pixel persona doesn’t appear to have such tools, so Affinity Photo is my next stop. Was hoping Designer could take me to where the file resides.

Thank you!

49 minutes ago, VectorCat said:

I’m assuming that in Designer, Placed raster images are in fact placed, and not parsed.

Correct.

50 minutes ago, VectorCat said:

Once a raster image is placed in Designer, is there a link from Designer, through iPad OS, to the image file? Or is the image somehow tucked into the Designer file?

No link created. Placed image becomes an 'image' layer.

51 minutes ago, VectorCat said:

Pixel persona doesn’t appear to have such tools, so Affinity Photo is my next stop.

You need to make it your first stop😁. Get the photo the way you want it before placing in Designer.

The desktop version has the ability to present the correct ui (Photo/Designer/Publisher) without switching apps, when editing objects. This is not yet available in iPad version but may come one day. 

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Thank. you, DM1 - 

Do you mean that, even when we switch to Pixel person on iPad, we aren’t seeing the full set of raster tools we ought to?

To be honest, I’m diggin’ the iPad so much, I haven’t used the desktop Affinity tools since Hector was a pup. 

I look forward to the increase in iPad designer’s UI capability..that and when Publisher for iPad is released..will be a very fine day for artists everywhere…

Been trying to use Designer the way I’d use Publisher - through the use of artboards. Perhaps others are as well…

1 hour ago, VectorCat said:

Do you mean that, even when we switch to Pixel person on iPad, we aren’t seeing the full set of raster tools we ought to?

You will see all the raster tools that Designer has. If you want the full set, you need to use Photo, not in Designer's Pixel Persona

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're welcome.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 hours ago, VectorCat said:

No, I was referring to (I think it’s called) Studio Link available on Desktop when you have all three programs. It switches to the correct editing program based on which part of your publication is being edited. That would be very nice if ever implemented on the iPad. The file format is the same for all three (publisher, photo and design). In the affinity media release it 'looked' like it just switched ui's as there was no apparent loading delay when switching. All tools available as and when needed. Brilliant.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/