You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash and instability placing multipage pdf

hello everyone,

I'm using 1.10.4 version on a Mac with big sur 11.6

Every time I try to place a multipage pdf on a new page, everything slows, hangs, and the program becomes not usable.

Sometimes the pass-through works, sometimes not.

The rounded rainbow starts to rotate forever and ever.

Right now, for me, this function of positioning is absolutely not usable.

Hope you can give me advices and info.

Best regards, 

Federico.

@Federicocentrocopie are you able to upload the pdf you're having issues with so we can take a look to see if we can help?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Yes, I will do it next monday when I will come back to work.

I would like to point that the issue is just on mac, I tried to do the same thing on a beta version on Windows, on a low budget laptop, and it was perfectly fast and efficient.

Curious, eh?

A slow, unstable truck on a 1500 € fantastic Imac, a fast and perfect Ferrari on a 350 € low budget windows laptop .

Can I ask what is it specifically that's not working? Does it have to do with the third page suddenly 'changing' to another page at the end of the video or something else? If you're looking for eight individual artboards then using File > Open will give you what you need but I think I may be missing something as the behaviour appears to be what I would expect based on your video...

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

The issue I experience using the latest version of AD is that placing the pdf pretty much locks AD up to the point where I can't select or delete items, is this the issue you're having as well or am I missing something? FWIW, all works as expected in AD 1.7.3, so seemingly an issue specific to the current version...

AD 1.7.3 - Place

and likewise, simply opening the pdf in the latest version of AD seems to work fine...

AD 1.10.X - File > Open

Ok, i try to explain again.

The problem is that every single time I try to PLACE and not OPEN a multipage pdf (Opening object needs a lot of things like text converted to curves that 99% of the case I don't have, because i'm a print shop and usually customers don't convert text in curves), the sistem becomes unstable and slows until it becomes unusable.

This thing, placing on affinity publisher, doesn't happen.

everything is fine and quick.

I would like to understand where the problem is.

Only this, thank you :)

Ok, got it.

I take advantage and ask you also this, and this is for Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher.

I use Roland Versaworks 5 to print stickers, with a Roland VP540.

To set the cut I use a 0.2 magenta line called "CutContour".

Even If i produce a PDF in this way, placing object and not opening (I suppose they will be consedered like objects, and not single elements),

the only way to have the cut identified is to save the PDF as a x3-2003, any other preset will not recognize the cut.

Is this normal or there's a way to have the cut identified even with the other presets?

Thank you.

Sorry but this 

"If thousands of vectors are copied over and over it will bog done any system,the program needs to calculate every position, etc. of every single a shape.
Grouping may resolve some issues"

doesn't work,

it could be ok if the same file, worked in the same way, will not run perfectly fast, efficient, and sharp, on my low budget 300€ laptop pc.

It should work worse on that pc, not better than on a 1500€ iMac.

The issue seems to be with PDF Passthrough in the latest version of AD (it's not an issue in AD 1.7.3 as shown in the earlier video, possibly because it wasn't an available option. If you place your PDF and then change PDF Passthrough from Passthrough to Interpret, wait a few seconds for AD to actually interpret the file, then (for me at least) duplicating the pages and selecting artboards works as expected. When PDF Passthrough is set to Passthrough, AD pretty much grinds to a halt or falls over as you already know...

There are a number of posts in the forums talking about similar issues, though most are actually specific to APub so I don't know if this is an acknowledged bug or not, maybe something that's been fixed now in APub but has slipped through the net in AD?

NB: in the video between 9 and 21 secs where you see the stationary arrow, that is where I see the spinning colour wheel of doom whilst AD switches between Passthrough and Interpret mode, for some reason the screen recording doesn't the spinning colour wheel...

As far as I can tell, AD interprets the file without any issues which I guess it should because there are no live fonts...

I don't know if it is intentional but there is some seemingly extraneous text sitting below the 'Not Suitable for Children' text on each barcode page...

eh39.jpg.163a830d954c6fdfb4230be1a97b23a2.jpg