You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.10.3 Resource Manager: Update or Replace a linked SVG produces "Missing" file, despite updating image

Windows 7 Pro and Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit.  I was working on a project with AffPub 1.10.1 and just upgraded to 1.10.3.1191.  The document has many SVG files placed as Linked files.  While updating some of the SVG illustrations, I found a regression in the Resource Manager.  Specifically, if you Update a Linked SVG with Modified status, the image presented in the document updates, but Resource Manager reports Missing status, and the options include Relink and Replace but omit Update, Embed and Collect.  If you try to Relink, no files are presented in the file browser.  (Yes, the directory is correct.)   If you Replace, you can see all the files in the directory, but selecting one returns you to the Missing status.

Similarly, if you choose to Replace rather than Update when Resource Manager tells you that a Linked file has Modified status, you get Missing status, with Relink and Replace offered, but Update, Embed and Collect omitted.

While the Resource Manager is reporting Missing status, any further changes to the Linked file are not detected.  So there's no cue to update/replace the file.  If the Resource manager is reporting OK status, changed to the Linked file are detected and reported, as expected.  So the Resource Manager is detecting changes to individual Linked files in OK status just fine until they get an Update/Replace, at which point the individual files get stuck with Missing status and no further changes are detected to those individual files.  Eventually, most or all of the Linked files become Missing, if you are busy tweaking illustrations.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter, but the SVG files are being exported from AffDes 1.10.3, and were previously exported by AffDes 1.10.1 on the Windows 7 Pro machine.  See the next paragraph for the Windows 10 Pro machine.

To try to track down what the problem is, I started with 1.10.1.1142 AffPub and 1.9.1.979 AffDes installed on a Windows 10 Pro machine.  I confirmed, by reexporting the file from AffDes, that Update of a Linked SVG worked as expected in AffPub, i.e., the Modified status changes to OK.  I then upgraded AffDes to 1.10.3.1191, and confirmed that this still worked properly.  Then I upgraded AffPub to 1.10.3.1191, and reexported the file from AffDes a third time.  Doing an Update on a Linked file of Modified status produces a Missing status, exactly as I described above.  So this problem is not dependent on Windows 7, you can put that objection back in your pocket.

I'm about to drop back to 1.10.1 until we get a patch.

• Staff

Hi @sfriedberg,

Thanks for your report and I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble! Please see the below quote from the first linked thread above -

I can confirm this is a known issue which is logged with our development team for version 1.10.3 - it appears as though for newly linked files, the Resource Manager is not showing the correct status.

Your files will likely not be 'Missing' and actually will be correctly linked, if you save this .afpub file, close and re-open it you should find that the Resource Manager is now correctly updated. 

We're working hard to get this resolved, but in the meantime you should be find to continue linking files as it is only the Resource manager that is incorrect and the files are correctly linked :) 

I hope this clears things up!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

1.10.4 will be released today that addresses this problem. On the Affinity Store it should be available now and on the Mac App Store and Microsoft Store it will roll out worldwide over the next 24-48 hours, as normal.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon