You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Artboard BUG

Hi,

Have an artboard, make a shape inside. Make another shape and move it outside. Snap the second shape to the outside of the artboard. Object should be invisible at this point.

Now use Shift + arrows to nudge it away from the artboard. No matter how far you nudge it, it’s still invisible.

Thanks,

Vlad

UI Designer, CG Artist

Macbook Pro 15" 2014

2.5 Ghz, 750M

https://www.behance.net/VladMafteiuScai

• Staff

I'd done this deliberately... I figured that an object shouldn't change its hierarchy just because I nudge it? In my head, dragging it around with the mouse I'm more likely to expect it to change hierarchy? I know it doesn't logically make too much sense maybe, but it was deliberate. I can easily change the functionality if it's counter-productive?

Thanks,

Matt

Matt, that's a great thought … the object shouldn't change hierarchy when moved, but the behaviour should be the same, independent of the way how it's moved.

I often use the arrow keys when shuffling my things around to keep a certain degree of precision (e.g. 1mm steps) and it would confuse the hell out of me (which, thinking about it, might not be a bad thing, because hell inside isn't healthy), if moving the objects with the arrow keys did get me a different result than dragging and dropping it, using the mouse.

• Staff

The issue here is the inconsistency. Either the objects remain on the same hierarchy or change it but the behaviour should be consistent no matter the way you move them. So as soon as the object lays entirely in the pasteboard area it should become visible again even if nudged.

The question is, should the objects moved to the pasteboard area change hierarchy or not?

• Staff

My immediate reaction is: Yes, they should change hierarchy when moved with the mouse - for certain, but I'm still up for a debate about the arrow keys. If we didn't manipulate hierarchy during mouse drag, then there would be no way to drag an object between artboards as they are hierarchically different.

• Staff

In that case i believe the same logic should apply to nudging. By principle moving an object on canvas shouldn't affect its hierarchy, but since this is a requisite to move objects between artboards, it should also be applied to nudging. I'm not expecting the way i move it could lead to different side actions like retaining or not its hierarchy. It's easy to forget this while we are just focused on moving it to outside the artboard.

It's also weird to have an object "marked" as visible in the Layers panel but invisible on screen because it was nudged to outside the artboard.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.