You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layers bug — sometimes the content of a group of layers can’t be accessed

iuli

One time crashed the app so I thought I should share here. Usually if you draw something makes the group of layers accessible again though.

[iPad Pro 11 Cellular 256gb 2021]

iPadOS 15.0.1

Video below (hopefully makes more sense than my blabbering); kind regards!

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

Just wanted to chime in and say I've been having the same problem since the 10.2 update. App has been crashing repeatedly for the past several hours. Working with very simple curve and color objects, iPad 12.9 inch. Suddenly, and repeatedly, I cannot access the contents of random layers. They will not respond to my taps with finger or pencil. After this happens, it's only a matter of time before the app crashes suddenly. The behavior is exactly the same as that which is posted in  the video above. I took a video of my own example and will attach it below. You can select the layer by swiping, but if you attempt to unlock, toggle visibility, or edit fx on the affected layer, it will crash the app. This behavior happens no matter what project I'm working on. Good hunting!

Edited by Robert Hansford
Left out a detail.

2020 M1 Mac Mini, 16GB, Mac OS Sonoma 14.1.1
iPad Pro 12.9, Gen 4, iPad OS 16.3.1

• Staff
On 10/15/2021 at 5:29 PM, kafkatamura said:

One time crashed the app so I thought I should share here. Usually if you draw something makes the group of layers accessible again though.

I've tried replicating this for most of the morning and so far, haven't been able to.  Could you attach your afdesign file, thats shown in the screen recording and i'll have another go and replicating it with your file.

@Robert Hansford, Could you also attach your afdesign file so i can try replicating it with your file, as so far, i've not been able to replicate it with the test documents i'm using.

Exactly the same is happening to me as well on iPad 12.9. Very simple project and renaming layers, un-checking layers, adding fx all crash the app. Even after saving the file without the app crashing then coming back to it later it opens to a previous state and not at the point where I saved it. 

App version 1.10.2

iOS version 15.0.2

2 hours ago, stokerg said:

I've tried replicating this for most of morning and so far, haven't been able to.  Could you attach your afdesign file, thats shown in the screen recording and i'll have another go and replicating it with your file.

Similar to the file I’m sharing here. For some reason I can replicate the error faster if I’m trying to open the latest groups. 
Kind regards! 

test.afdesign

As a side note, the same error applies to Affinity Photo.

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

• Staff
1 hour ago, kafkatamura said:

Similar to the file I’m sharing here. For some reason I can replicate the error faster if I’m trying to open the latest groups

Thank for the file.  So far on my M1 iPad, i've not been able to replicate the issue.  Just waiting to test it on a few more iPad we have in the office.

23 minutes ago, Robert Hansford said:

Here you are. Thank you for looking into it.

Thank you :)  A quick test on my iPad and everything is working fine.  I have noticed in your screen recording, just before the crash, the layer you are selecting doesn't have a thumbnail.  Whereas on my iPad, that layer is showing a thumbnail.  I've just had another member of the team test this on his iPad with an Apple Pencil and we have had some success at replicating the issue.  The only difference being, i'm not using a pencil.  

Could @kafkatamura and @Dlm71confirm if you are using an Apple Pencil when this issue happens (or have it paired).

@stokerg

I have noticed in your screen recording, just before the crash, the layer you are selecting doesn't have a thumbnail.  Whereas on my iPad, that layer is showing a thumbnail.

Yes! The thumbnail disappears. This is a symptom of the bug/error. It suddenly disappears. This happens at random. I'm on Late 2020 iPad Pro 12.9 inch. I've tried resetting ram etc. Keeps happening.

@stokerg If you're not able to reproduce the bug/error at the file level, could it mean that it is happening at the app settings level? Something in the settings that is causing the behavior? Would you like to take a peek at my app settings? Something having to do with the apple pencil?

• Staff

2 minutes ago, Robert Hansford said:

If you're not able to reproduce the bug/error at the file level, could it mean that it is happening at the app settings level? Something in the settings that is causing the behavior?

I've just reinstalled Designer on my iPad and i can now replicate the issue when using a Pencil :)  I've got a horrible feeling, i was using the previous build of Designer and not last weeks update 🤦‍♂️  For some older iPads, it appears to have issue when not using a Pencil.  This is all being logged with the Dev team :) 

@stokerg Thank you. You guys are the best. I'll hang in there, and switch over to desktop for a while. I was able to replicate this issue on several different projects. The interruptions made things a bit difficult! Good luck!

Edited by Robert Hansford
used an incorrect word!