You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 1.10.1 (Mac, Big Sur): I get unexpected and not deletable 'page breaks' from a 'word file'

Well, thats my problem: I am trying to create a book from a 'word file' - , i.e., rather the Word file I get by exporting the text file via pages to Word format. The file itself is set up from many stiles at it is a film script. It looks perfectly fine in Pages/'Word'. No unexpected breaks whatsoever.

Yet, when I put this file in the text frame created in Publisher, on arbitrary pages the frames do not get filled fully - as I would have expected -, but kind of a 'page break' (that cannot be deleted) is inserted somewhere on the page. I have not found any control sequences in Word which might cause this strange problem. Nor do I have any Idea what is going on, nor how I could avoid it.

For illustration of the problem:

The first image shows the text in Word or rather Pages on my Mac.

The second image shows how this text converts in my text frame in Publisher.

Can anybody help me with this problem? I have created several books exactly the way I have described above. But I have never encountered any thing similar.

Thanks a lot.

Jan

Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-03 um 22.42.21.jpg

Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-03 um 22.44.04.jpg

No real way to tell for sure without a Pages and or the .DOCX export and a Publisher Document which exhibits this behaviour. 

Plus you'd have to use a font like Ariel which everyone has.

Could well be there is some weird glyph being created in the Pages export to DOCX because of the font choice which is read by Affinity as a column/page/frame break. Could be there is a change made (an override) to the style for that paragraph which makes it want to Start on Next Page/Frame/Column.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

17 minutes ago, Wosven said:

Hi @JanG, did you try exporting to RTF file?

A APub file and a part of the Words file would help to find a solution.

That has helped! I just forgot about this other way of exporting files from Pages. And it worked wonders. No breaks occurring anywhere is I rely on RTF.

Thank you very much!

So it seems to be the Word export of pages that is responsible for the weird breaks?

You are right, Wosven, the files are required. It was too late yesterday, I am sorry.

Meanwhile I have checked the RTF import. It does not show any unexpected breaks, yet it lost the small caps. A tedious fault to repair ...

So if anybody in the know should have a closer look at the files, maybe you could give me a hint how to avoid the unexpected breaks? Thank you.

BTW, in this case I have used the 'original' Word file for the import, but please note that I have no certain knowledge whether its origin is really Word itself. It might well be like in my case with Pages that it is just the result of some format changing export procedure from some other software.

Please be aware the the first unexpected break occurs on page 7 of the publisher document.

Thanks again for your help. Highly appreciated! 

Import test word -> publisher.afpub Layout Garamond V5 J1 T1.docx

16 minutes ago, JanG said:

Please be aware the the first unexpected break occurs on page 7 of the publisher document.

All? or most? of the text makes use of Flow Options (Paragraph panel). As most of the paragraphs here are one- or two-liner Prevent orphaned first lines + Prevent widowed last lines + Keep with next 1 lines gives problems here. Perhaps you should select all text and remove the Flow Options and do the page / frame breaks manually?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed