You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 1.10.1.1142 crashes unexpectedly

I backloaded to the 1.9 version after the initial 1.10 update because it crashed so much. Then, downloaded the most current version. Crashes happening again. No warning and boom - Publisher vanishes.

Uploading the file if anyone's interested in having a look.

A different, similar file I uploaded yesterday won't even open before Publisher dies.

Workshop Playbill.afpub

21 minutes ago, Clayton King said:

I backloaded to the 1.9 version after the initial 1.10 update because it crashed so much. Then, downloaded the most current version. Crashes happening again. No warning and boom - Publisher vanishes.

Uploading the file if anyone's interested in having a look.

A different, similar file I uploaded yesterday won't even open before Publisher dies.

Using the latest version (not beta), I just opened your file and played around with it for a minute with no issues. I'm using macOS on Intel.

Now I don't have your fonts and external resources and it seems that some crashes are due to external issues.

However, one strange thing I noticed in your document is that there is a duplicate copy of one external image and it's size is 0 and 0. You can see this in the resource manager (ti shows the size of the selected row on the right). If you're able to open the document for a moment, go to Document > Resource Manager, expand Clayton.png, select the second one, click Locate in Document, and then close the Resource Manager and press the Delete key before doing anything else. Or just open the attached version of your file in which I've done exactly that. I don't know if this will help but it needs to be done anyway.

image.thumb.png.02a37a8ee7a7cdd8ab0f69503ff577ef.png

Workshop Playbill.afpub

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• Staff

Hi Clayton King,

Welcome to the forums :)

Typically if someone has a file specific crash and when viewing the file on another computer the crash doesn't occur it can be traced to a linked font or image as Mike TO has mentioned above. Its likely the image has has found which is showing as 0x0 as this can indicate a corrupt embedded image. If you remove this problem image do you still have issues? Alternatively you could try Mike TOs re saved copy of the file as that should have the missing elements removed.

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

20 hours ago, MikeTO said:

Using the latest version (not beta), I just opened your file and played around with it for a minute with no issues. I'm using macOS on Intel.

Now I don't have your fonts and external resources and it seems that some crashes are due to external issues.

However, one strange thing I noticed in your document is that there is a duplicate copy of one external image and it's size is 0 and 0. You can see this in the resource manager (ti shows the size of the selected row on the right). If you're able to open the document for a moment, go to Document > Resource Manager, expand Clayton.png, select the second one, click Locate in Document, and then close the Resource Manager and press the Delete key before doing anything else. Or just open the attached version of your file in which I've done exactly that. I don't know if this will help but it needs to be done anyway.

image.thumb.png.02a37a8ee7a7cdd8ab0f69503ff577ef.png

Workshop Playbill.afpub 7.22 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks, Mike. I did as you suggested - opened the file, immediately deleted the bogus image and tried to save. It crashed.

When I downloaded your version of the file, deleted a word and saved, all was well. 

When I attempt to open the attached file (many images) Publisher crashes before it finishes loading.

Any thoughts?

467141764_OnstagePlaybill.afpub

@Callumthat makes sense. I'm curious to know, however, if there's some way to determine what the problem is with the file. Are there tools available to help with that?

I've attempted to open the previously uploaded file on the computer on which it was created as well as another laptop, and it crashes. Generally it sits "Loading document" for about a minute and then craps out.

Looked at the second (the large one) playbill. There are some huge files in there that are set to 16% of their size, maybe think about making some exports at smaller sizes. 

More concerning is that there are paragraph styles that have themselves added to themselves. Bio + Bio. I don't know how this happened but it cannot be good.

Anyway, here is a pdf from the original and then the file with the largest photos removed so that I can actually upload it (slow internet day today)playbill.zip. Hopefully you can open it up and then start to replace the pictures. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks, @Old Bruce! Paragraph styles in Publisher continue to baffle me. I've been using DTP software since I beta tested the first version of both Pagemaker and Ventura, but Publishers handling of style confuses me. Likely I just need to read the manual! LOL

I generally favor linked images over embedded ones. That said, I'd have thought Publisher could handle that filesize; many of the images were curated from the web and simply copied and pasted into Publisher. Output was on a color printer, so lower resolution wasn't an issue for reproduction.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm continuing to have issues with this... I created a brand new Publisher document (8x5 postcard). There are four images in it, all small. Total file size is 2.8MB.

I attempt to edit a style (change the font) and boop - Publisher is gone.

Is there some kind of diagnostic or utility available to either check on a file, check on a system, or check on the state of my affinity installs? This is starting to cause severe problems in project management.