Jump to content
Our response time is longer than usual currently. We're working to answer users as quickly as possible and thank you for your continued patience.

Joining paths from 2 different layers


Recommended Posts

I'm trying to join two unconnected paths from two different layers.   I realize I have to (some how) get them to the same layer.   So it seems my problem is combining paths from one layer to another.   I've tried grouping, sub-grouping, copy/pasting, etc.

No bueno.   =[

Any thoughts are appreciated.

image.png.72862ab667dd6bcd8e166c32acdbe571.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Sweatman said:

I'm trying to join two unconnected paths from two different layers.   I realize I have to (some how) get them to the same layer.   So it seems my problem is combining paths from one layer to another.   I've tried grouping, sub-grouping, copy/pasting, etc.

 

Okay, I'm not sure which way you mean this.  I'm guessing you want the two paths to become one with all the nodes from each path included.  It's actually quite simple if you know the procedure.  When in the node tool select the two nodes you want attached.  These must be end (or start) nodes, not middle nodes.  If no nodes are selected this process will attach the two closest end/start nodes.   Then just click the Join curves icon in the Action group of the context toolbar.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

Okay, I'm not sure which way you mean this.  I'm guessing you want the two paths to become one with all the nodes from each path included.  It's actually quite simple if you know the procedure.  When in the node tool select the two nodes you want attached.  These must be end (or start) nodes, not middle nodes.  If no nodes are selected this process will attach the two closest end/start nodes.   Then just click the Join curves icon in the Action group of the context toolbar.

Thanks for the reply @Gear maker!

Joining two nodes isnt the problem.    My issue is getting path layer #1 combined with path layer #2 so I can THEN JOIN them exactly as you courteously explained.    Thx again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sweatman said:

My issue is getting path layer #1 combined with path layer #2 so I can THEN JOIN them exactly as you courteously explained.

You do not need to put both curves on the same layer. The Join Curves action will do that for you.

Affinity Photo 1.10.5, Affinity Designer 1.10.5, Affinity Publisher 1.10.5;  2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.5.280 & Affinity Designer 1.10.5 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

You do not need to put both curves on the same layer. The Join Curves action will do that for you.

Dang!   You are correct, Sir!    Though you have to do it carefully, you can "Join" two points.   After that, you can just drag points to join (for ppl reading in the future).     

My only complaint is that when you initially join, you get this spaghetti loop that you hafta clean up.

image.png.76716fbe6e8987cfc3788b73861c9dc8.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

7 hours ago, Sweatman said:

My only complaint is that when you initially join, you get this spaghetti loop that you hafta clean up

This won´t happen when the end nodes are "sharp" - curvature maintained or one node is dragged onto the end node of the other curvature and "Join Curves" is applied.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, PixelPest said:

 

This won´t happen when the end nodes are "sharp" - curvature maintained or one node is dragged onto the end node of the other curvature and "Join Curves" is applied.

Changing the end nodes to "sharp" changes the integrity of the original curve; but I see where you're going with this.    Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PixelPest said:

every starting/end point/node should be a sharp node. Don´t you think?

I think it should be but it does not seem to always work like that.

Affinity Photo 1.10.5, Affinity Designer 1.10.5, Affinity Publisher 1.10.5;  2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.5.280 & Affinity Designer 1.10.5 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PixelPest said:

I didn´t meant to change them after drawing; every starting/end point/node should be a sharp node. Don´t you think?

Vectorhygiene.gif.75b7fc12006871e719eb60891e75b7aa.gif

I typically only do that if I'm drawing objects with hard corners.    Otherwise I always click+drag, click+drag, click+drag, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note there is currently a delay in replying to some post. See pinned thread in the Questions forum. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.