You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting to PDF/PNG causes Designer to hang

Hello All,

I'm on an M1 Mac.  Latest Designer update installed (1.10.1).

The attached file hangs Designer when I export to PDF or PNG, though I have been successful with JPG.  After initiating the export command it acts like it worked but then the next command brings up the beach ball of death and the file is never written.  There were imbedded PDF's which I thought might be the problem, but I have removed those and replaced them with jpgs.

I sure would appreciate any ideas!

Thanks much,

Erik

Copper Ridge Master Plan.afdesign

The issue is actually caused by the beige 0.6 pt border that sits around the main graphics. It is currently set as a dashed line (which I don't think is intentional) and for some weird reason this is causing AD to hang when exporting the file to PDF resulting in the file either not being written at all or taking an absolute age to write so this looks like a potential Bug.

If you simply change it from a dashed line to a solid line the problem goes away and the file exports as expected.

249846808_DashedLine.jpg.16881db47cc5d1ad56765e7a8d45b74c.jpg

It actually has nothing to do with the images in your file, though I noticed your images use a mixture of different ICC profiles and resolutions resulting in some uneccessarily large file sizes and some files with a placed dpi that falls below 300. The majority of images are sRGB but one is Display P3 and another has no ICC profile at all.

Resources_01.thumb.jpg.9835c19fec56b8a6c9a55c8ac5780f22.jpg

Depending on the intended final output for the file, it may be a better option to size your images prior to placing them in AD so you end up with something more like this, all using the same ICC profile, but that all depends on how the file is going to be used?

Resources_02.thumb.jpg.c6aa77052a2e0c804f6b502cb3e3d798.jpg

Copper Ridge Master Plan v2.afdesign

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

You're amazing!  Thanks for dialing that in!  When I changed the dash settings to zero (because it inserted dashed from a previous command) I assumed that it automatically set it to a continuous line.  I'll remember to do it the correct way next time.

As to the images... thank you.  Yes, drag and drop is more important than output quality at this point.  I'll remember to check resource manager when I do have something going to a serious print shop.

Cheers!

Erik

• 4 months later...

I have this issue as well, although I have not taken the time to check if it is related to the dashed line.

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video