You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Subtrakt from a selection

Hi.

I'm in Designer.

I made a circle. And the I made a rectangle on top of it.

I want to delete the part of the rectangle that is overlapping the circle.

I tried to make a compond, but that does abaout everything else than delete that part.

When I make a selection of the circle, and then select the rectangle layer invert the selection I delete the whole rectangle, not the part overlapping.

I know I have made this before, but...

Hopefully someone else needs to know this too. ;)

post-14034-0-30124500-1447260245_thumb.png

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

• Staff

Select both the circle and rectangle and click on the Subtract button in the main toolbar. If you want to create a compound from it press and hold ⌥ (option/alt) while clicking on the Subtract button in the main toolbar.

You have a pixel selection active in your screenshot. To remove it press ⌘ (cmd) + D (it's not necessary for the subtract operation since both objects are vector shapes).

MEB, thanks for responding. I had the selection "marching" just to illustrate what I wanted to subtract.

However, I selected both layers and pushed the subtract button. What happens is that all of the rectangle is subtracted from the circle.

If I change the order of the layers, the only thing that is left is the little part that I want to eliminate.

post-14034-0-77166000-1447275309_thumb.png

post-14034-0-37722700-1447275327_thumb.png

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

• Staff

Sorry my bad! In that case, select both objects, click Divide instead and delete the part you don't want.

This however will break the circle too. If you want to keep it intact do this instead: duplicate the circle, select the duplicate and the rectangle and click on the Intersection button. You should now have the original circle and part of the rectangle (the intersection area) as separate objects.

Of course, ABC, why didn't I think of that!  :rolleyes:

Edit:  I tried this in (almost) every way, I just forgot that I had to place the "clip" a little to the right. *Embarrassed ;)

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2