You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[1.10.0.1127 ] Linked documents ( .afdesign ) invisible when the document holding the link is oppened

So I have a document with some elements linked, .afdesign files. 
When I link the file, everything works fine, they showup in the layers stack, they are visible on the canvas and I can manipulate without problems. 

If i save the "main" doc with the links and open it again, most of the linked .afdesign documents become invisible, and I need to "Replace Document" to make them showup again during this session. If the main document is closed (after saving) and opened again, the links may be invisible again, and I need to repeat the process.

This behavior started after version 1.10. embeds have no problems, but with linked .afdesign files this problem happens often.

1Uw681238_10-21_e8.jpg

1 hour ago, Sean P said:

Hi Dreatern,

Would it be possible for you to attach the main document along with the linked file please, and if possible could you also attach a video showing the steps you're taking to reproduce the issue please?

Hi.

I tried to send you a direct message with the files because I'm not comfortable to share it here since it is public, but I couldn't send
Gu4GDjCwRF.jpg.1ce64689b330958ca4839eb190436f71.jpg

I have seen this over the weekend...

I was just trying to reproduce it with the sketch.. You can try it with this file if you wish!

Notes:
2 files:
Original file is sketchbook pro saved as .psd
Template file  which is old now used  a lot (just a file for drawing!)

Process
open AD file and place image
Double click to edit embedded file 
Select a px layer and resize/rotate etc
Go back to original tab

In trying to reproduce it..having difficulty today...I tried to place the file into the locked Sketch layer...It lets you do it but if you try and edit the content....AD just crashed for me!

Test FIles-place.zip

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2402
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

54 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Sorry about that - try again now and it should succeed :)

Done

34 minutes ago, StuartRc said:

I was just trying to reproduce it with the sketch.. You can try it with this file if you wish!

Notes:
2 files:

Process
Go back to original tab

In trying to reproduce it..having difficulty today...I tried to place the file into the locked Sketch layer...It lets you do it but if you try and edit the content....AD just crashed for me!

Test FIles-place.zip 8.56 MB · 0 downloads

The main doc here is set to "Image placement policy: prefer linked"  but I noticed that sometimes the resource manager shows the linked docs as embedded and I have to make linked again.  Whenever I save the main document and/or make changes to the linked docs, something seems to mess up everything. I'm only using .afdesign files

• Staff

Hi Dreatern,

Thanks for the files! Interestingly the first time I opened your Main_Doc everything looked correct for me, however when I resave and then reopen the document the objects are missing as reported.

I'll get this passed on to development as its similar (but slightly different) to an issue we're already aware of. 

I'm not aware of anything making the documents embedded (with the exception of the 'Embed' button in the Resource Manager) so if you do notice that happening and track down an action that causes it then please do let us know.

Thanks again for your help!

1 hour ago, StuartRc said:

Notes:
2 files:

Process
Go back to original tab

Test FIles-place.zip 8.56 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks for the files Stuart however what you're seeing I think will be different to Dreatern's issue as you're using embedded files. The issue Dreatern is having (and the one we're aware of) is related specifically to linked files.

I tried your receipe but was unable to reproduce it and didn't crash for me - it behaved as I would expect. However if you do run into it again then please grab a video if possible and create a new thread :)

• Staff
1 hour ago, Dreatern said:

I noticed that sometimes the resource manager shows the linked docs as embedded and I have to make linked again.

I've just noticed this myself in your file when I clicked 'Replace' on a linked file, I noticed it was switching to Embedded! I will double check this with development to verify what the correct behaviour should be in this instance!

26 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Hi Dreatern,

Thanks for the files! Interestingly the first time I opened your Main_Doc everything looked correct for me, however when I resave and then reopen the document the objects are missing as reported.

I'll get this passed on to development as its similar (but slightly different) to an issue we're already aware of. 

I'm not aware of anything making the documents embedded (with the exception of the 'Embed' button in the Resource Manager) so if you do notice that happening and track down an action that causes it then please do let us know.

Thanks again for your help!

In fact, as I explained the document seems to change itself whenever I make a change, and save the main doc or the linked files. The linked files may change to embedded, I believe it happen after a save. I only notice after closing the document, and opening it again on another occasion.

So it's hard to know if there's anything triggering it, besides saving, since everything happens silently in the background. It only shows up after I open the file again, and everything looks random. Sometimes everything is normal, sometimes all invisible, sometimes some visible and others with "glitch" (gradient bar).  

When I replace through "resource manager" I notice that some have become embedded and they are still invisible, so I have to "make linked..." and replace the file to fix it.

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

The issue "Linked document previews disappear completely after saving and reopening document." (REF: AFD-5496) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.1.0.1799".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.