You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo (Windows) crash

I just discovered something that may be valuable to further isolate the root cause of this bug:

Apparently, my consistent crashes seem to be related (also) to the color profile of the document. All documents that are created with a CMYK profile crash. The test file included in the message above, is also in CMYK (8 bit).

If the CMYK-document is converted to a RGB profile (8, 16 or 32 bit) the crashes with the pattern layers seem to disappear. After some initial testing, this appears to be the case also for newly created documents with these RGB color spaces. Similarly, documents with Grey and LAB profiles seem to behave in a correct way.

I also did a re-test with the 1.9.2 version. Here, all color working spaces work correctly (also CMYK). 

So, it still looks like it's a bug that was introduced with version 1.10.

Windows 10 Pro - 21H1 | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X - 12 core - 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 - 3.6 GHz RAM | Nvidia RTX 3060 - 12GB VRAM | 2TB SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Wacom Intuos 4M

Full Affinity Suite (Photo, Designer & Publisher): all version 1.10.5.1342 with HW acceleration ON, Nvidia Studio drivers up-to-date (511.65)

Capture One for Sony v.22 (build 15.1.1.2) | Nik Collection (DXO version 4.3.3) | Topaz AI (Denoise 3.6.1, Sharpen 4.1.0 & Gigapixel 5.8.0)

2 minutes ago, Lem3 said:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/profile/140935-evil-pechenka/

The current advice for working with pattern layers in 1.10:

• Do not work in CMYK
  • Turn ON Hardware Acceleration (Edit -> Preferences -> Performance

I do not work in CMYK

Hardware Acceleration cannot be enabled, Windows LTSC does not support it.

It is impossible to work with Pattern Layer, the application constantly crashes.

• 2 weeks later...

I updated to the most recent version of Affinity Photo (1.10.1.1142), and did a quick test on this bug with pattern layers in a CMYK document.

The bug is still there.

Windows 10 Pro - 21H1 | AMD Ryzen 9 3900X - 12 core - 3.8 GHz | 32GB DDR4 - 3.6 GHz RAM | Nvidia RTX 3060 - 12GB VRAM | 2TB SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Wacom Intuos 4M

Full Affinity Suite (Photo, Designer & Publisher): all version 1.10.5.1342 with HW acceleration ON, Nvidia Studio drivers up-to-date (511.65)

Capture One for Sony v.22 (build 15.1.1.2) | Nik Collection (DXO version 4.3.3) | Topaz AI (Denoise 3.6.1, Sharpen 4.1.0 & Gigapixel 5.8.0)

• 1 month later...

I raised this bug in early August when version 1.10. was initially released. I retested this bug once more with the most recent version (1.10.3.1191) of Affinity Photo.

I can confirm that it's fixed now👍!

So, this thread can move to the 'Resolved bugs' section.

Many thanks for fixing it!

Kind regards.

PS: I've noticed that since this bug was initially raised, also some other users have initiated threads about the same problem. Also these threads can now move to the 'Resolved' section, I assume?

1 minute ago, i5963c said:

PS: I've noticed that since this bug was initially raised, also some other users have initiated threads about the same problem. Also these threads can now move to the 'Resolved' section.

You can't speak for other users - they would need to confirm that the issue is also fixed for them since the latest update. :)

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

Great to hear but, I will also withhold judgement until I have time to put it through its paces. I was assured by other users that several bugs have been 'fixed', but they still dogged my Windows install. (they have been less feisty on the MacBook, however).  Here's hoping.