You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Symbols issues

This certainly looks like a bug with Frame Text as it works correctly with Art Text. The resulting symbol's Frame remains the correct size but the Frame Text inside is just under 25% of its original size (23.98568% to be precise).

I'd be amazed if this hasn't been reported as a bug before...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• Staff

Hi abra100pro,

This is something we're aware of and can happen when a text frame (it's very unique when it comes to its scaling compared to any other object) or its container is scaled. Unfortunately there isn't anyway to see this scaling and causes annoying issues such as those you're seeing. I will pass your comments onto development and get the issue bumped.

@Sean P This appears to be happening even when the text frame isn't scaled...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• Staff
10 minutes ago, Hangman said:

@Sean P This appears to be happening even when the text frame isn't scaled...

The text frame doesn't have to be, but its possible the artboard may have been scaled using the lower right handle. That will also exhibit issues.

Unfortunately I cannot see the history of the document, but looking at the video I can see different artboards of different sizes so its definitely very likely to be related to that. However we are aware of scaling issues with Frame Text objects and unfortunately there isn't yet a way to see if they've been scaled. We do have an improvement logged for users to be able to see/reset the scaling to avoid issues like this.

@Sean P it has definitely been scaled, as you realised.

I wonder what good it is to kind of remember the state of scaling...🤔 (as far as I understood your last post). As I can see it there is an element (in this case a textbox) which I want to turn into a symbol as it is at the very moment. I cannot see an advantage of taking the scaling-history into consideration. I compare it to this: I turn a red rectangle into a symbol. Before it was green once...... 

I definitely would not want to

• have to revert an element to its origin in order to make a symbol out of it
  • not being able to turn it into a symbol because it is scaled

Another question is: How is a textbox changed when it's scaled (besides the size ;-))? Why is that change so important/in the way that it influences symbols (and other things we also discussed in another thread, I actually don't remember - had to search the forum)?