You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a way to import a lot of text (in my case, from an open source book on Google Gutenberg) into a new Publisher Document? I understand how one can create a text frame and place text into it. But is there a way to have Publisher automatically create new pages with linked text frames so that I don't have to this manually?

Thanks.

-KUrt

2 hours ago, Kurt said:

Is there a way to import a lot of text (in my case, from an open source book on Google Gutenberg) into a new Publisher Document? I understand how one can create a text frame and place text into it. But is there a way to have Publisher automatically create new pages with linked text frames so that I don't have to this manually?

I should point out that the Gutenberg files (I am assuming you are using the text files) have line returns/new paragraphs after every line and a double return after a Paragraph. This will cause problems. There are other quirks as well with some of the files such as four(or occasionally five) spaces instead of tabs, and some files have "smart" quotes while others have "dumb" quotes. Italicized text is marked with underscores: "plain text _italic text_ plain text" is supposed to be "plain text italic text plain text"

What I do is clean the text files up in a good text editor (BBEdit in my case) and mark them up with some "tags" of my on making. Then it is a simple matter of just replacing the tags with the appropriate Paragraph and Character styles in Publisher.

You should also use Text Frames on Master Pages, remember to link them if you are using double page spreads.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

OK thx. So if I have a properly linked text frame in my master page, then I attempt to import 100 pages worth of text, then will Publisher AUTOMATICALLY create enough pages (with appropriate text flow from page to page) to accommodate all the text? Or, perhaps I need to manually add 100 pages  first?

(Yes I agree that the Guttenberg text will need some cleanup.)

31 minutes ago, Kurt said:

So if I have a properly linked text frame in my master page, then I attempt to import 100 pages worth of text, then will Publisher AUTOMATICALLY create enough pages (with appropriate text flow from page to page) to accommodate all the text?

Yes. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

15 hours ago, Kurt said:

Or, perhaps I need to manually add 100 pages  first?

No, do not do that. I start with No Pages following the one into/onto which I am place the text and Publisher will make the pages for me once I shift click the overflow triangle.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I should add that the pages we add in Publisher are not linked together spread after spread.