You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Selection Lag

I just started migrating my large project over from InDesign, but I'm running into a lot of strange lag issues. One that's particularly frustrating is when trying to select text across multiple font styles. It freezes a moment as if it were processing something. I can even hear my graphics card's fan revving up for some reason. I can scroll my selection cursor up and down the text box and it lags out repeatedly, but only the first time it encounters a new font style. I've attached an example of some multi-style text in a new doc. I'm worried that if it's struggling already, that migrating my 300+ page book over to AP isn't going to be feasible.

Windows 10 x64, Intel i7-6700K 4GHz, 64GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti, 1TB SSD

TextSelectLagExample.afpub

So I'm not sure what happened, but when I loaded it up today, this bug was gone. It had been a constant issue the past few days, but not now. In fact, a lot of the lagging I've been experiencing is mysteriously gone today. I'm at a loss, but I'm definitely not complaining. 

22 hours ago, Panaxiom said:

So I'm not sure what happened, but when I loaded it up today, this bug was gone. It had been a constant issue the past few days, but not now. In fact, a lot of the lagging I've been experiencing is mysteriously gone today. I'm at a loss, but I'm definitely not complaining. 

Maybe there was an update in windows, that needed more resources. Do you use any third-party programme that works in the backround (e. g. Antivirus software)?

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

3 hours ago, Komatös said:

Maybe there was an update in windows, that needed more resources. Do you use any third-party programme that works in the backround (e. g. Antivirus software)?

I think it might actually have something to do with the memory leak issue that's been mentioned in other posts. Whenever I start getting lag now, I just save and restart the software to make it go away for a good while again.

• 4 months later...

I'm searching in the forum but there is no mention of the memory leak in the last 6 months (other than your post above). I'm working on the latest Publisher on a PDF exported from MS Word (what a hack job), but if thats what client supplies then thats what I work with. In any case, it's my first time seeing this memory leak every 90 to 120 minuets I need to do the same, save and restart. It's a technical book about building steel frames of 250 pages, lots of images and text mixed together. I just wanted to mention it's still an issue. I guess thats not a show stopper, but really-deeply annoying.

I should mention that I've worked on documents over 700 pages before with out seeing this and the main thing that changed was adding an additional 32gigs of memory to my system, so it's 48 gigs from what was a 16 gig system. I wonder if too much memory (ie anything over 16gigs) is the issue that stumps some thing in Publisher.