You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The included video might not be as clear as I wanted, but you might be able get some idea of my issue.

This is meant to be used as a small progress bar and is constructed of 20 segments with no outlines and arranged side by side to produce the bar that over time would be reduced by one block progressively. What I'm finding is that while constructing the bar and zoomed in to about 500% be able to see what I'm doing, it all looks exactly as I wanted it, but, as you might be able to see in the video, when I zoom out to 100% view, virtually every segment becomes visible and unacceptable. I can't get it to look smooth as it does when zoomed in, any suggestions on how to do this would be appreciated. 

Thanks

1. What happens when you export the file, are the segments still visible?

2. Can you upload the above sample Affinity file (the one in the video)?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

For me it looks not really like outlines, but like the background bar is looking through. Don't know why it does only at around 100% zoom. Could have to do with the pixels of the zoom are not fitting to the real pixels of the image, so that they appear blurred. But you could possibly solve the problem by overlapping the segments a bit.

5 hours ago, carl123 said:

1. What happens when you export the file, are the segments still visible?

2. Can you upload the above sample Affinity file (the one in the video)?

Hi,

When I export to PNG with transpaency, it is the same. I figured it might be just some quirk in the app itself and would vanish when exported to the desired file, but it doesn't. Clearly visible.

I've uploaded the example AD file for you to look at.

Progress2.afdesign

4 hours ago, iconoclast said:

For me it looks not really like outlines, but like the background bar is looking through. Don't know why it does only at around 100% zoom. Could have to do with the pixels of the zoom are not fitting to the real pixels of the image, so that they appear blurred. But you could possibly solve the problem by overlapping the segments a bit.

Hi,

My original thought was to overlap them slightly by bring the two end blocks closer together by a small amount and then aligning all of them again to take up any possible gaps, but the result was still the same, and I'm not understanding why that is. :)

3 hours ago, Gort said:

I've uploaded the example AD file for you to look at.

Well, that was fun!

Affinity seems to like all values to be in whole pixels for it to work properly for certain types of design work. This includes the W & H and the X & Y values. Which can be seen/checked in the Transform Panel. (Suggest increasing decimal places displayed to 6 in Preferences)

Virtually all your values were not whole pixels. So, exporting to PNG was creating all sorts of misaligned pixels.

I have redone the file using whole pixels only (for both W & H and the X & Y values) and it now looks OK when exporting to PNG.

Surprisingly even the W & H values for the Artboard itself had to be whole pixel values also or else the output was distorted. Despite the X & Y values being correct at 0,0.

Glad I don't ever need to do this sort of design work

Note: You can still see the gaps at certain zoom levels but that's just a display issue

Note2: There are options next to the snapping icon that will "force pixel alignment to whole pixels" and "move by whole pixels", which will help but they are not perfect

Progress2-nodecimals.afdesign

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.