You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is this typical performance?

See a lot of performance problems with 1.9.3. Considering Apple M1 for better performance. Results there are no better. My benchmark results attached. Is this typical?

3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 555 2 GB

OS 11.4

Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 11.59.41 AM.png

You could look through the Benchmark 1900 listings and compare yours:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 month later...

Thanks Walt.ferrell:

Closest benchmark attached 16" MacBook Pro (i9 8-core 2.4Ghz, 64GB, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M + Intel 630)from Andrew Somerfeld.

Running AP 1.9.3 and IOS 11.4. First image is Somerfield benchmark, Second is mine today, third is Mac info:

Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 4.29.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 4.51.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 5.04.24 PM.png

• Staff
On 7/3/2021 at 10:04 PM, PaulD said:

Closest benchmark attached 16" MacBook Pro (i9 8-core 2.4Ghz, 64GB, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M + Intel 630)from Andrew Somerfeld.

Unfortunately this score can't really be used to compare to your system, as it has 4 more physical CPU cores (and therefore 8 more threads), with 8x the amount of RAM your system has and therefore the scores are bound to be higher.

The closest I can find in the thread is the following post -

This user has a similar CPU and double the RAM, but as can be seen their results are much more similar to yours, besides the 'Combined' Raster score.

I'd like to see if we can do anything to improve your score - could you please navigate to Affinity Photo > Preferences > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here for me?

Many thanks in advance :)

Thanks Dan C for your interest: Screen shot attached. This situation has been deteriorating  for some time. Each IOS 'upgrade" has made it worse. I don't think I have changed preferences from initial installation. Loading AP can take 30sec (OK) to several minutes (not OK).

Hope you can help.

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 12.23.54 PM.png

• Staff
16 hours ago, PaulD said:

Loading AP can take 30sec (OK) to several minutes (not OK).

I can confirm this is a known issue that isn't specific to your system or caused by your hardware - there is a current bug within Big Sur that causes the Affinity app to be fully 'scanned' by macOS each time the Affinity apps are launched between shutdowns. This 'scan' can take a short while and the Affinity app will not finish opening until after this is finished, which is the delay you're seeing.

We're working closely with Apple to try and get this resolved, however we have no timescale for a resolution currently, my apologies.

In regards to your preferences settings, I recommend the following:

View Quality, set to Nearest Neighbour

Retina Rendering, set to Low Quality (fastest)

Hardware Acceleration, try turning this option off - you should be prompted to restart the Affinity app.

After restarting, try testing/using the Affinity app as you normally would - does this provide better performance for you please? :)

Thanks again Dan 😄 

Much better. Not changing Retina Rendering gives best result without further loss in visual quality.

I assume print quality will be effected as well?

Much appreciated,

PaulD

• Staff

No problem at all, I'm glad to hear this!

On 7/9/2021 at 5:14 PM, PaulD said:

I assume print quality will be effected as well?

Not at all, this should still be exactly the same regardless of your rendering settings :)