You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Floot select tool missing CTRL+Click functionality that will add to current selection

Hi,

I am really amazed and I'm missing the basic functionality which exits in a lot other tools, which is to use flood select tool(Magic wand in paint.net) with CTRL+Click to add more selections to currently selected areas in the image. I really don't understand how this can be missing.

Thanks!

It's ctrl+click on a Mac, but it's probably some ridiculous LMB+RMB combination on Windows. Look at the status bar at bottom of the app window for hints. Also, there are New/Add/Subtract/Intersect mode buttons in the context toolbar.

1 hour ago, Xmight said:

add more selections to currently selected areas in the image. I really don't understand how this can be missing.

See Status bar:
image.png.03d9934e7ec55ce0238b167ab4e9cb8b.png

50 minutes ago, anon2 said:

but it's probably some ridiculous LMB+RMB combination on Windows

Sadly, Serif does not follow the habits and standards of Windows control.
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/139804-affinity-photo-magic-wand-adding-not-working/&do=findComment&comment=772131

Obviously, developers only use a Mac, and they don't use Windows and therefore don't even know it. Otherwise, they would not be able to invent completely unusable combinations of the LMB + RMB type.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Serif's reasoning is probably a bit like this:

Ctrl-click on Windows is the equivalent of Cmd-click on Mac; Cmd-click is not used in combination with this function on Mac, so we can't use Ctrl-click on Windows.

Alt-click on Windows is the equivalent of Option-click on Mac; in this case we use it for Substract.

Now we need something for Ctrl-click on Mac (Add function); Let's see what is available; Umm, nothing, so let's use RMB.

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

6 hours ago, RNKLN said:

in this case we use it for Substract.

At the same time, adding and substracting to/from the selection could be so easy and consistent. As with layer selection in the Layers Panel.
Click with Ctrl on the layer that is not part of the selection - add to the selection.
Click with Ctrl on the layer that is part of the selection - sub from the selection.
Simple and easy to understand - the way it works everywhere in Win OS.

It could work the same way when selecting objects using Move Tools - unfortunately, Serif chose the Shift key quite inconsistently 😞

And it could work the same way when selecting pixels with the Flood Select Tool.
Ctrl-click on an unselected area - add to selection.
Ctrl-click on an already selected area - subfrom selection.
Simple and understandable - why choose a specific key for adding and specific key for removing? The type of operation (add vs. sub) is clear from what I'm clicking on (as with selections in the Layers Panel and selection objects with the Move Tool).

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

I am so accustomed with CTRL+Click with other tools, that yesterday when I was trying to do this thing in affinity, it took me half an hour to to test ALT, SHIFT, CTRL and in different combinations, with no success.

Additionally, I tried to search for documentation, and I found this(which explicitly states that flood selection tool does not support this): Add to selection (Marquee/Freehand selection tools only)     CTRL+ALT-drag

which is specified here: https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Workspace/shortcuts.html?title=Keyboard shortcuts

I had no way to test what you said about LMB and RMB yet, will do ASAP, hopefully it exists, but nothing is specified about this combination. Do you see it there on the list, for selection, because I don't :)