You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

can anyone help with this bug im experiencing?

when i bought the software, it worked flawlessly, but since 1.9, after i restart my computer. it allows my to use affinity one time, and if i close it and try to reopen the program it gives me the message below. if i restart my computer it, lets open the program once, then after i close it, it tells me i need an update for windows 7 sp1, even though i have a legit copy of windows 10. can anyone help? ive uninstalled the program and reinstalled it and it hasn't helped. 

Screenshot (24).png

3bean,

May not help, but something to try.

From the desktop icon for Affinity, right click and open properties.

From the Compatibilities tab, click run this program as administrator. Hit apply.

This should circumvent anything windows is doing to block execution.

1.9 should work well in win 10. Other thing to check is the anti virus software or settings. Can turn off momentarily and see if this works.

Sorry to have wasted your time if this doesn't fix things. May as well uninstall the program and reinstall the exe file (right click) as administrator (with any antivirus turned off).

Can also try the compatibility modes for previous systems, though have rarely had any luck with this approach.

John K

Hello @3beanspls welcome to the forums.

I suspect that you have missing or corrupted system files.

To check and possibly repair them, press Windows key + R. Type sfc /scannow in the input field. Hold Shift+CTRL and click OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

4 hours ago, Komatös said:

Type sfc /scannow in the input field. Hold Shift+CTRL and click OK.

What does holding Shift+Ctrl accomplish there?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

Opens sfc in administrator mode.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

On 5/25/2021 at 1:36 AM, Komatös said:

Hello @3beanspls welcome to the forums.

I suspect that you have missing or corrupted system files.

To check and possibly repair them, press Windows key + R. Type sfc /scannow in the input field. Hold Shift+CTRL and click OK.

tried this, didn't work

On 5/24/2021 at 9:57 PM, John CK said:

3bean,

From the Compatibilities tab, click run this program as administrator. Hit apply.

1.9 should work well in win 10. Other thing to check is the anti virus software or settings. Can turn off momentarily and see if this works.

Sorry to have wasted your time if this doesn't fix things. May as well uninstall the program and reinstall the exe file (right click) as administrator (with any antivirus turned off).

Can also try the compatibility modes for previous systems, though have rarely had any luck with this approach.

John K

tried running as admin, didn't work, im only running stock windows security, but i guess i can try turning it off and reinstalling. ill let you know how that goes.

On 5/24/2021 at 9:57 PM, John CK said:

3bean,

John K

i just tried the uninstall, then run the exe as admin, and that didn't work either

Whilst I have not experienced this with Affinity I have had problems with Winodws 7 updated to Windows 10 with a few programs wanting me to re-install each time I used them. I have now installed clean copies of windows 10 on all my machines and do not have that problem any longer. Think it was something to do wiht redundant 32bit items left over in the upgrade.

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

@AlanPickupYou may be right, probably Windows 7 components have not been properly removed.
With such an error message, I would also advise a clean reinstallation.
But before that, let's see if we can get a result with home remedies.

So let's get started.

@3beanspls

Press Windows key + R, type cmd , hold down Shift + Ctrl and click OK.
C:\Windows\system32\ appears.

Check if there are errors in the registry:
Copy Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth by right-clicking and paste into the prompt by right-clicking.

Scan data sets (partition) for errors
Copy Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth with a right-click and paste it into the command prompt with a right-click.

Scan Windows 10 for errors using Windows Update and have it repaired: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

If you have carried out the repair with Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, you can run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth again for safety's sake.

8 minutes ago, Komatös said:

@AlanPickupYou may be right, probably Windows 7 components have not been properly removed.
With such an error message, I would also advise a clean reinstallation.
But before that, let's see if we can get a result with home remedies.

So let's get started.

@3beanspls

Press Windows key + R, type cmd , hold down Shift + Ctrl and click OK.
C:\Windows\system32\ appears.

Check if there are errors in the registry:
Copy Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth by right-clicking and paste into the prompt by right-clicking.

Scan data sets (partition) for errors
Copy Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth with a right-click and paste it into the command prompt with a right-click.

Scan Windows 10 for errors using Windows Update and have it repaired: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

If you have carried out the repair with Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, you can run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth again for safety's sake.

just tried all of the below, i haven't restarted my computer yet, but it didn't work immediately

Was a message issued that bugs were found and fixed?

Haha, ok

You can try with an inplace-upgrade.

Read here how to do: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Another shot in the dark. Like advised here, looking more like residuals from win 7 the program is hanging onto.  Friend has a similar problem with some audio software after an upgrade 7 to 10. Also as advised, try everything first before a complete clean install and having to build the computer from zero.

One option to try is a free, very powerful win 10 repair tool, tweaking.com.

https://www.tweaking.com/

If you use this, follow the prompt to run from safe mode. It will take awhile, maybe half hour or so to finish, but could fix. Just another option to try. Good luck.

John

3bean,

Hoping you got all this resolved and working. If not, wanted to throw in some editorial stuff on tweaking.com and software uninstallers in general... Goal is to get you completely clean of any previous Affinity installations before going forward with a fix.

The tweak thing is way powerful correcting mis allocated tasks in win 10, but have to use carefully. Has bailed me out on different occasions, but have to let it do its thing. First time I purged the system, thought the program had frozen and aborted the fixes. Reduced the OS to rubble. So let it go through the procedures. Walk away, get a cold can of Sterno and enjoy the sunset. Let the corrections happen until finished.

The respected guys here have laid out a rational path to recover, and would follow their advice after all options have failed.

If using Tweak, would do it like this...

Uninstall Affinity using a more aggressive program like free Revo uninstaller. Also Iobit uninstaller is good. Truth is that companies are paid to install, not to write complex and complete uninstall routines. Biggest offenders I've run into so far are Native Instruments Kontakt. Only surpassed by MS Office suite that leaves thousands upon thousands of orphan files and registry entries after a generic uninstall.exe.

Things like Revo will go thru the normal uninstall and then dig deeper to try and get every vestige of the uninstall out. Finds a lot of leftover crap. Not sure if it gets everything, but an improvement.

Next, set a restore point that you can access either thru windows or below windows in a recovery mode if everything gets forked up.

Run Tweak and let it do it's thing.

When finished, reinstall the latest stable 1.92 version. Run the installer as administratot with all anti virus turned off for the time. See if this resolves the issue.

If not and I've destroyed everything on your computer, I owe you a beer or two next time you wander out here to the Oregon coast.

John

• 5 months later...

the above fix actually didn't work but I FINALLY FIXED IT FOR GOOD

turns out it was actually caused by corrupted drivers for my graphics card.

to fix this i uninstalled the software(affinity photo)

then download the amd bug fix tool and ran it in safe mode.

then i reinstalled my amd driver update tool

and voila worked like a charm