You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Linked layers do not work on the Windows AP.

3 minutes ago, loukash said:

Except that it doesn't always work as expected.
While experimenting in the past weeks, there were sometimes issues that I would rather start all over, giving up any relinking attempts.

I have not used the linking feature much but in my limited experiments relinking has worked as expected. What kind of issues have you seen?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

What are the things you can do to break a link, other than clicking on the unlink icon in the Links panel?

Relinking works the same way linking does -- drag a layer onto one of the Link Drop icons in the Links panel. (Refer to the last item in the Linking help topic.)

Merging layers, booleans, converting shapes into curves, creating linked layers into assets, just to name a few. I also have had some instances where a link has been broken without me knowing why that happened. Usually happens to vector layers after making edits to them.

I know how it works, but it is not efficient to do it this way when you can have several duplicates of the same layer and you have to check a bunch of them to see that they are properly linked. I think there should be a better way to achieve this by warning the user when a link breaks and allow the user to re-link on the fly.

1 minute ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

I think there should be a better way to achieve this by warning the user when a link breaks and allow the user to re-link on the fly.

I wonder how that would work when an object is changed in some way that makes some of the attribute links invalid. There are 9 attribute types (listed here) & any layer type can be a linked layer, so it could be tricky or impossible to relink some attributes among items that are no longer of the same layer type.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7