You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo Persona to Tone Mapping freezes during loading

I have the latest Affinity photo and used tone mapping persona plenty of times without problem but this is the time first I have encountered such issue. 

My stitched panorama just can't seem to be loaded into the tone mapping. The loading would freeze at different points. What's strange is the file is not even that big consider I have tone mapped file that's double the size.

Any suggestions? Would it help if I stitch it outside of AP then import it?

Screen Shot 05-12-21 at 10.41 AM.PNG

• Staff

Hi @albearon and Welcome to the Forums,

Could you just try something for me, click Edit>Preferences>Performance and at the bottom of this window is an option for OpenCL.  If its enabled, untick it and close Preferences and you'll be asked to restart Affinity and once restarted, try loading that image into the Tone  Mapping Persona and let me know the results :) 

• 2 months later...

Hello, I am having the save problem.  I create a pixel layer, Hit the tone mapping persona, a box comes up with just the headings, but no content.  Another box shows it loading then nothing! i have tried your suggestion below and the OpenCL wasn't ticked.  Any other suggestions as this is very irritating.  Thanks 

48 minutes ago, Westie said:

I create a pixel layer, Hit the tone mapping persona, a box comes up with just the headings, but no content.  

Is there anything in the pixel layer you just made? This is a layer by layer thing, not an overall document effect.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 years later...
39 minutes ago, JLAM said:

@Westie I tried that and it didn't work. I tried all four possible options available to me. 

I just updated to the 2.2.0 and it still give me this issue. 

Hi and welcome. Westie will not answer, as he never logged in again after 2021.

we would need more information for your specific case, e.g. size (both pixel dimensions and file size). Tone map Startup time is linearly proportional to pixel count (x * y), but only if the file fits into RAM entirely. Try tone map with a file of 1000x1000px, and stop the time. If you file is 10000x10000, it will take 100x the time. If you work on RGB/32 files, every pixel layer requires 16bytes, so 1Mpix 16MB, 24Mpix about 0,4 GB. So you may hit your RAM limit sooner than expected.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same issue. I have changed the renderer in Edit>Preferences>Performance from integrated graphic card to a dedicated one (having OpenCL enabled ) and it issue was resolved. Maybe also changing the View quality might help.

Edited by Gelet