You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gabarit basé sur... et Livre. *** Template based on... and Book.

Bonjour à l’équipe Affinity, bonjour à tous,

J’ai une question « à tiroir » qui nait d’un travail en projet contenant plus de 15 gabarits, d’une kyrielle de feuilles de styles et de plus de 2000 pages.

Mon interrogation concernait initialement le gabarit basé sur un gabarit et la possibilité de modifier rapidement par effet de cascade un document constitué de plusieurs gabarits partageant des caractéristiques communes mais aussi, et comme souvent, un document constitué de plusieurs fichiers et partageant gabarits et feuilles de styles.

Dans InDesign, il y a une fonctionnalité, le livre, qui rempli très bien ce rôle.

Le livre permet de définir un document de référence (qui peut changer) et à partir de celui-ci de synchroniser feuille de styles et gabarits.

Mais le livre donne également une vision globale de la composition, permet de folioter automatiquement et intégralement, permet d’exporter un pdf global et en conserver l’interactivité générale.

En bref, pour ceux qui travaillent sur des documents longs, une fonctionnalité indispensable.

Donc la QUESTION qui en découle : envisagez-vous une telle fonctionnalité (et des gabarits basés sur…).

Désolé pour la longueur de la question.
Je n’ai pas su faire plus bref 😊

Hello to the Affinity team, hello to everyone,

I have a question that comes from a project containing more than 15 templates, a lot of stylesheets and more than 2000 pages.

My question initially concerned the template based on a template and the possibility to quickly modify by cascade effect a document made of several templates sharing common characteristics but also, and as often, a document made of several files and sharing templates and stylesheets.

In InDesign, there is a feature, the book, which fulfills this role very well.

The book allows to define a reference document (which can change) and from this one to synchronize stylesheets and templates.

But the book also gives a global vision of the composition, allows to foliate automatically and completely, allows to export a global pdf and keep the general interactivity.

In short, for those who work on long documents, an indispensable feature.

So the QUESTION that follows: do you consider such functionality (and templates based on...).

Sorry for the length of the question.

I couldn't make it any shorter 😊

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

1 hour ago, uneMule said:

My question initially concerned the template based on a template and the possibility to quickly modify by cascade effect a document made of several templates sharing common characteristics but also, and as often, a document made of several files and sharing templates and stylesheets.

First thing is that a Template is in essence just a document for making a new document. There is nothing which will be inherited in the new document if the Template is changed. There is no connection from the one to the other.

I am going to assume that Stylesheets are the Text Styles; Group, Paragraph and Character. These are per document and are unique in that document. Four Documents can have a Paragraph Style called Fancy Heading and there is no guarantee that the font, or anything, will be the same in the four documents.

1 hour ago, uneMule said:

The book allows to define a reference document (which can change) and from this one to synchronize stylesheets and templates.

This would be nice but is not present.

I would set up one Template in Publisher for the book and define all the Paragraph and Character and Group styles in the template. There is a hell of a lot of planing needed, you'll need to know how many Headings etc you'll need. Bulk text, Drop Caps, Captions, Pull Quotes, Running heads, Running footers, Introduction, Index, ToC and on and on. These may change for different sections so setup Groups for things which will change.

Have Introductory Material Group and Section one to three Group and Section four to seven Group and then within those groups you can have the Paragraph styles which will be different, perhaps the Captions or the Pull Quotes, perhaps the Drop Cap or Bulk text. You can cascade the changes down through Group/Paragraph/Character styles based on higher levels.

Plan plan and plan some more. Lay out different sections with placeholder text, make them two or three pages and then look at combining documents to learn how the application doesn't do what you expect it to do. Work with cascading fonts (size weight leading...) and spacing and flow using No Change

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Bonjour @Old Bruce,
Très content de vous lire.
Comme je passe par un traducteur, le terme gabarit est à utiliser dans le sens "page maitre" et non "template" ou modèle.
J'ai déjà pris en charge des travaux similaires sur d'autres outils de mise en page.
Mais je ne pense pas que Publisher soit taillé, pour l'instant, pour ce genre de sujet ou plutôt qu'il nécessiterait plus de travail de modification donc de risque d'erreurs.
Cela dit, ma question est intentionnelle et est une façon de dire qu'il manque des outils nécessaires à la prise en charge de documents longs.
Je reste optimiste et confiant :)
Si d'autres personnes ont ce besoin...

Hello @Old Bruce,
Very happy to read you.
As I'm going through a translator, the term template is to be used in the sense of "master page" and not "template" or model.
I've done similar work on other page layout tools.
But I don't think that Publisher is cut out for this kind of work at the moment, or rather that it would require more work to modify and thus risk errors.
That said, my question is intentional and is a way of saying that it lacks the tools necessary to support long documents.
I remain optimistic and confident :)
If other people have this need...

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000

31 minutes ago, uneMule said:

As I'm going through a translator, the term template is to be used in the sense of "master page" and not "template" or model.

Okay,

Hmmm.... I think you would be able to do some of what you want using Master Pages, they do cascade changes.

31 minutes ago, uneMule said:

That said, my question is intentional and is a way of saying that it lacks the tools necessary to support long documents.

I have a lot of trouble figuring out the way Master Pages don't quite work when I add pages from a file.

There are troubles with inadvertently  adding  even more text Styles when importing text from a docx file there isn't any way to swap out or replace the imported styles.

In my opinion there are many many more things which are not up to snuff.

Il y a 31 minutes, uneMule a dit :
Comme je passe par un traducteur, le terme template doit être utilisé dans le sens de "page maître" et non pas "modèle" ou modèle.

D'accord,

Hmmm.... Je pense que vous seriez en mesure de faire une partie de ce que vous voulez en utilisant les pages maîtres, elles font des changements en cascade.

Il y a 31 minutes, uneMule a dit :
Cela dit, ma question est intentionnelle et est une façon de dire qu'il manque les outils nécessaires pour prendre en charge les longs documents.

J'ai beaucoup de mal à comprendre comment les pages maîtres ne fonctionnent pas vraiment lorsque j'ajoute des pages à partir d'un fichier.

Il y a des problèmes pour ajouter par inadvertance encore plus de texte. Les styles lors de l'importation de texte à partir d'un fichier docx, il n'y a aucun moyen d'échanger ou de remplacer les styles importés.

À mon avis, il y a beaucoup d'autres choses qui ne sont pas à la hauteur.

Traduit avec www.DeepL.com/Translator (version gratuite)

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

11 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

À mon avis, il y a beaucoup d'autres choses qui ne sont pas à la hauteur.

Oui, bien sûr, vous avez raison.
Après, la vraie question est à qui s'adresse-t-on en priorité ? Et donc où met-on prioritairement les ressources.
Mais honnêtement, je suis assez enthousiaste.
Et j'espère que le monde de l'édition avec ses besoins propres profitera de ces développements.
D'où mes questions ou contributions.

Yes, of course, you are right.
After that, the real question is who do we address first? And so where do we put the resources first.
But honestly, I'm pretty excited about it.
And I hope that the publishing world with its own needs will benefit from these developments.
Hence my questions or contributions.

Toujours pas !

14 minutes ago, uneMule said:

After that, the real question is who do we address first? And so where do we put the resources first.

Sadly there is no overwhelming consensus.

For one example, Notes, either on the page or at the end of the book. There are two obvious non-trivial challenges for good implementation.

There needs to be a proprietary format for the text in the text frame to deal with the importation and creation of the superscript numbers and for the actual notes. The translation from various word processors needs to be done so there can be additions/deletions to the notes. And the notes can go from the original word processor's location at the bottom of each page and be placed in the Publisher document at the very end of the book. or each chapter, or back to the bottom of the pages again.

The Text Frame will have to be changed to hold a footnote placeholder (of zero size (a non-trivial challenge on its own)) which will need to  be in every single text frame. These will have to be capable of automatically linking to the next page's currently unused footnote frame to hold overflow.

Another example which may be simple to implement is changing the Find and Replace to work in Selections of text and only in the chosen run of text frames holding linked text. As it is now I can only search the entire book. I don't want to do that all the time.

Il y a 14 minutes, uneMule a dit :
Après cela, la vraie question est de savoir à qui on s'adresse en premier. Et donc où mettre les ressources en premier.

Malheureusement, il n'y a pas de consensus écrasant.

Par exemple, les notes, soit sur la page, soit à la fin du livre. Il existe deux défis évidents et non triviaux pour une bonne mise en œuvre.

Il faut un format propriétaire pour le texte dans le cadre de texte pour gérer l'importation et la création des numéros en exposant et pour les notes proprement dites. La traduction à partir de divers traitements de texte doit être effectuée de manière à ce que des ajouts/suppressions puissent être effectués dans les notes. Les notes peuvent quitter l'emplacement du traitement de texte d'origine, en bas de chaque page, et être placées dans le document Publisher à la toute fin du livre, ou de chaque chapitre, ou de nouveau en bas des pages.

Le cadre de texte devra être modifié pour contenir un espace réservé aux notes de bas de page (de taille nulle (un défi non trivial en soi)) qui devra se trouver dans chaque cadre de texte. Ceux-ci devront être capables de se lier automatiquement au cadre de note de bas de page de la page suivante, actuellement inutilisé, pour contenir le débordement.

Un autre exemple qui pourrait être simple à mettre en œuvre est la modification de la fonction Rechercher et Remplacer pour qu'elle fonctionne dans les sélections de texte et uniquement dans la série choisie de cadres de texte contenant le texte lié. À l'heure actuelle, je ne peux effectuer une recherche que dans l'ensemble du livre. Je ne veux pas faire cela tout le temps.

Traduit avec www.DeepL.com/Translator (version gratuite)

3 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Un autre exemple qui pourrait être simple à mettre en œuvre est la modification de la fonction Rechercher et Remplacer pour qu'elle fonctionne dans les sélections de texte et uniquement dans la série choisie de cadres de texte contenant le texte lié. À l'heure actuelle, je ne peux effectuer une recherche que dans l'ensemble du livre. Je ne veux pas faire cela tout le temps.

ça c'est clair !

That's clear!

Toujours pas !

• 2 months later...
On 5/12/2021 at 8:34 PM, Old Bruce said:

Sadly there is no overwhelming consensus.

For one example, Notes, either on the page or at the end of the book. There are two obvious non-trivial challenges for good implementation.

There needs to be a proprietary format for the text in the text frame to deal with the importation and creation of the superscript numbers and for the actual notes. The translation from various word processors needs to be done so there can be additions/deletions to the notes. And the notes can go from the original word processor's location at the bottom of each page and be placed in the Publisher document at the very end of the book. or each chapter, or back to the bottom of the pages again.

The Text Frame will have to be changed to hold a footnote placeholder (of zero size (a non-trivial challenge on its own)) which will need to  be in every single text frame. These will have to be capable of automatically linking to the next page's currently unused footnote frame to hold overflow.

Any ideas of whether this will be implemente and if so, when?

I have quite a few book with a lot of footnotes, and it is really a hassle to manually create extra frames in a page to handle these...

The possibility to create footnotes automatically is a frequently requested function here. When and whether this function will be implemented is currently unknown.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!