You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi

What is your best workflow for using AP? I currently use AP, Lyn or XNViewMP as a browser and .dng files as stock ( which I always want to leave untouched ). My biggest problem is not being able to view AP file format in browsers. So keeping track of projects without thumbnails is a problem. Also, as .tiff export seems not to support layers, I have to keep my final versions as AP format in order to preserve the layers in case I need to revisit, but can't view them in my browser!

Thoughts, observations, advice welcome.....

afphoto is a closed format so other browsers won't read it

But news for an affinity DAM are announced for 2016 (check my signature)

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/13792-feature-request-affinity-lightroom-killer/?p=61067

You can also export to .psd to preserve layer structure but maybe some effects from affinity won't be kept as editable as in an afphoto format (like live perspective distortion filter)

And that's why I was asking about workflow. e.g. final save file format ( possible revisit for future edit ), flatten or not, handling of projects in AP format? Sorry, not very clear but that's because I'm not sure what the best course is to follow!

Cheers.....

Well, the Export Persona is intended to create slices of your design as export areas. These slices are essentially flattened parts of your design to be used in other contexts, for example, as icons, as parts of application interfaces, or as parts of web pages:

If you want to keep a file editable throughout, you might want to save it in the native .afphoto format. If you want to share it to Photoshop and keep it editable (for the most part), you might want to save it as a .psd file. Unfortunately, it’s as you said: browsers generally don’t display .afphoto files … so far. But you should be able to see Finder icons and previews … 

By the way, Serif reportedly plans to create a DAM application, that will display .aphoto files as well, as I would like to expect.

Cheers, Alex  :)

IMO it´s recommended to use the afphoto format. With psd you´ll not get all the benefits that come with AP.

I mean as long as you can avoid .psd I´d keep away from that as it might just produce problems.

And I mean A_B_C´s workflow interpretation is very true,

but I can also see your confusion tonyt!

A_B_C #DAM I´ve already mentioned that in my fist post (which actually is the second one in this thread) - you´ll not see any post from me without mentioning it :D hahaha

I start in Aperture (still!). Export as tiff and open i AFP. Save the final image as .afphoto - and export it as a jpg for use on the web.

I'm also so exited about the DAM  :)  Have tried (and bought!) everything(?) out there, but always ends up using Aperture.