You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Refine as filter

Please add the Refine tool (Details refinement, currently only available in Develop or Tone Map Persona) as a filter / live filter to Photo Persona.

image.png.e59c597d13748b225c0c4bdd0e29e292.png

Edited by NotMyFault
made more clear its "Details refinement", not selection refinement

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Or you could use the Refine Selection in the context toolbar. See here, for example.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

48 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

Or you could use the Refine Selection in the context toolbar. See here, for example.

John

Hi John, I'm talking about "Details Refinement", not selection refinement - I hoped this would be clear in the context of the personas i mentioned.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

2 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

Please add the Refine tool (Details refinement, currently only available in Develop or Tone Map Persona) as a filter / live filter to Photo Persona.

Isn't Detail Refinement practically the same effect as a "Live Unsharp Mask" sharpening layer?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

Isn't Detail Refinement practically the same effect as a "Live Unsharp Mask" sharpening layer?

Maybe. There is no clear definition avauilable in the help which method is used for sharpening.Unsharp mask normally has a threashold input paramter which is missing here.

I tried with a test photo to achhieve the same sharpening effect as "Refine Detilas 50% / 50%" with help of unsharp mask, running through all possible combinations of Radius and Factor between 0 to 5, and 0 to 4, in steps of 0.1, comparing both versions with blend mode "difference" at 100%. You never get the same result. Existing edges always get a brighter halo on the left side.

I might be expecting too much from Affinity. Other RAW developers are capable to apply special "digital optimizations" for RAW files based on sensors (RAW files!) and lenses used.

If "Details Refinement" is really only unsharp mask, then this request can be closed without changing the function, but please update the description in the UI and help section to explain what type of sharpening is used. But based on my experiments i doubt that it is the same function.