You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Objects falling into layers below when dragged

Hi, I have an issue where when I drag a layer (say a normal rectangle) over a group of other layers the layer I dragged then falls into the group of layers below. This happens when I'm moving (dragging) elements on the canvas, not on the layers panel on the right.

If I move the layer with my keyboard (shift and arrow keys) the layer disappears into a lower group on the canvas (so is obscured by layers above it) but remains visible as the top layer of the top group on the layers panel. See attached screenshot to see what I mean. 

I obviously want the layer I'm dragging to just move location on the canvas, not fall into a group of layers below it and disappear - it's driving me mad. Anyone else having this issue? 

Regards,

James

bug.jpg

Hi Garry,

Thanks for your reply. No it's not that. That yellow box layer actually does jump down into a lower group when reselected. It's just when I move them with my keyboard rather than my mouse, the layers panel does not immediately update and show the layer still being at the top.

I can get the layer to show at the top again on the canvas by pressing "Ctrl" + "Shift" + "]" but when I drag the element on the canvas it falls down into a lower grouping again.

I've had to rasterise the bottom layer group so that I can get on with my work but I'll try and recrate the problem later. Perhaps I can share a file with you for testing.

2 hours ago, JamesF91 said:

I can get the layer to show at the top again on the canvas by pressing "Ctrl" + "Shift" + "]" but when I drag the element on the canvas it falls down into a lower grouping again.

Are you using Artboards? If so, you may be dropping the object onto a different Artboard when you move it. But there's not enough detail in your screenshot to tell.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I can’t remember moving a layer on the canvas and having it automatically move to a different place in the layer stack.
This sounds like unexpected behaviour to me but I’ve not tried everything.

If you can upload a document which exhibits this behaviour then it will be easier for us to test.

Edited by GarryP
Wasn't thinking straight, again.

• Staff

GarryP,
It happens when you use artboard documents with Edit All Layers enabled. If you move an object/layer from one artboard (or from an "independent" layer outside any artboard layers in the Layers panel) over another on canvas, the respective layer will also move to inside the other artboard in the Layers panel. It's most likely what's happening with James's document.

MEB: You and Walt may be correct in that it may have something to do with artboards.
Now that you remind me I’ve seen a layer move on the layer stack when switching between artboards lots of times, so I don’t know what I was talking about earlier (post has now been edited.).
However, I don’t think that explains what we can see in the original image where (if the group is at the top of the stack, and James’ red text in the image seems to be saying that) the yellow rectangle is being displayed behind layers that seem to be below it.
I think Walt is right that we can’t see enough to be able to tell what’s going on yet.

Hi everyone. Thanks for your replies. I wasn't using artboards in the document. I also opened the file on my partners PC to see if it would have the same problem and it did. We we're both using the latest version.

I have tried to recreate the problem but have not been able to do so - I wish I had not overwritten the file after I rasterised the background group of layers.

I will try and start my workflow from the beginning and see if I can get the same result.

Whilst I'm here, I'm also having an issue where every time I come to the forms I have to reset my password. My user and password combination is saved in Last Pass and I know its correct because it works on https://affinity.serif.com/ just not on https://forum.affinity.serif.com/ - I do occasionally have this issue and its usually because of my unusual email address: james@mosi.ltd - some sites don't like the domain suffix ".ltd"