You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

lens correction too limited scales

Hi,

since Release 1.9, the effect of lens correction seems to be very limited:

rotation to -10..+10, and you can't enter higher values

As i use lens correction rotation regularly as it provides a much finer control (0.1 degree) compared to crop or layer transformation, this is a step back from +/-25 % before (until 1.8.5)

Hor/vert shows value of +/+100, but effect is extremley limited. I have many picture which require far more room for adjustment.

If i could get a life filter in photo persona which would allow these transformation with reasonable range (rotate +/-180 degree, hor/vert to get at least 45 degree angle), i could live with the "reduced" state in develop persona.

image.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Those appear to be just like Lightroom. It also only allows a +/- 10 º, and +/- 100% on the others. 10º is quite a bit when it comes to correcting lens distortion.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

1 hour ago, NotMyFault said:

rotation to -10..+10, and you can't enter higher values

I would not call deviations of more than 10 degrees a correction, but image editing.

You can use the Crop tool image.png.ee2717bec30c378226c7254799d791d3.png. To do this, use the "Straighten" button image.png.a4f24f83e40b4a3a46e039d32eb8f6c4.png in the context bar.

I have experienced photo as a tool for creatives, much more capable as photoshop in many areas, and not as a policing tool to blindely restrict you to those things photoshop can do.

Degrading the more capable functionality of prior versions until 1.8.5 to much more limiting capabilities of photoshop does not look like a good move.

And there is an absolute difference bewteen rotating by 0.1 degree steps with excellent control over how small or big these steps are, to the hit-or-miss approach of the crop tool.

The old way a super efficient and effective tool to correct a certain amount of mis-alignment and perspective distortion, e.g. to straighten handheld photos of rectangular shapes, even a vertain amount of tilt-shift correction. These capabilities have been reduced by at least a factor of 2,5 (rotation) and ~5 (hor/vert).

Most important, it was possible to correct 4 different types of mis-alignment in one tool. Now these corrections are seperated into several tools.

I there is a good technical reason that rotating above 10° would cause any issues in Photo, i would accept.

But then, please remove rotation completly from lens correction. I don't expect any lens exists on earth which suffers from a "rotation" imperfection. Rotation correction is required to correct mis-rotated cameras, and not to correct lenses flaws.

Similar, hor/vert correction is mainly required to correct mis-alignment of the camera position with respect to the chosen object, and not to correct any lens faults.

And again, if Affinity would provide the former "lens correction" fucntionality in photo persona, with the old UI from developpersona, but extended to +/- 360° rotation, unrestricted hor/vert correction, unlimited scale correction, i would be happy to give up all of this in develop persona.

Just rename them to "perspective correction" instead of "lens correction".

Regards

Timo

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

I don't know why the ranges of values mentioned have been restricted. I just wanted to show you an alternative.

I see the "lens correction" as a correction option for photographers for whose lens-camera combination no profile exists, or who additionally need a slight correction. You then do everything else in the Photo Persona.
But perhaps a moderator will comment on the reasons.