You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color Wheel in HSL panel isn't displayed correctly

JeMa

Hi! As I am getting familiar with the app and working through your Photo Work Book, I discovered a bug in the HSL-panel: When I open it the second time or after, the color wheel isn't displayed correctly. I can see only the upper left quarter and parts of the color field pickers (see attached screen shot). When I close the app and restart it again, the HSL panel is displayed correctly when I open it for the first time, but the bug comes up after opening the second time. 

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-27 um 18.16.06.png

@MEB,

Will this ever be fixed?  It seems to be a "resident" bug.  It's one of the first that I check for in each new release ... by which you can tell that I haven't upgraded to 1.9 (yet).  Despite having a latent fondness for it, I would not mourn its demise.

Richard Liu

MacBook Pro 16" 2021 M1 Max | macOS 12.3.1 | BenQ SW271 | Affinity Photo 1.10.5

• Staff

Hi @Richard Liu,
My apologies for the delay getting this fixed. Although it's a known issue i believe no one has been able to reproduce this internally yet. I've raised this up with the Tech/QA teams to see if we can make progress here to get to the bottom of issue. It's difficult to fix a problem we can replicate ourselves. Thanks for your patience/understanding.

Hi @MEB,

I believe it has to do with the fact that the BenQ SW271 external display is a 27" display that is operating (by default) as if it were a 32" one, i.e. at 3840x2160.  You might poll the users who have reported this problem and see what display and setting they are using to see whether there's a common thread.

Thanks,

Richard Liu

• Staff

Yes, it's quite possible the issue is related with high density/regular displays (or retina versus non-retina if you are using Macs). I've been questioning new users about resolutions already and i'm also trying to get my hands on a regular/non-retina display as currently i only have retina ones. Thanks.

Maybe contact BenQ (in the UK, I presume)?  Tell them, theirs are the only monitors with this problem, some people even asking whether monitors with the same specs have the problem, would be a pity, such a nice monitor, etc., etc.  Maybe they could lend you one.

By the way, does this happen on Windows, too?  For the record, I have a MacBook Pro 15" 2018 model running macOS 10.14.6.

Richard Liu

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2021 at 3:57 AM, MEB said:

Hi @JeMa,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Are you using multiple monitors? If so drag the HSL panel to the main monitor and back to the original again. It should fix the issue.

Not so much a fix as a band aid.

I'm getting the same thing, and yes, I'm using a second monitor with my macbook pro.

My monitor specs:

ASUS VG279Q 27" Full HD 1080p IPS 144Hz 1ms (MPRT) DP HDMI DVI

Not sure what is taking so long to squash this bug.  The circumstances under which it occurs are well known:  external monitor, probably not running at default resolution.  Mine is a BenQ 27" running on the same resolution as a 32".  That's the way it came.  Therefore, the bug is reproducible.  Furthermore, the workaround is also well known.  All the speed enhancements of the latest version are lost when I constantly have to drag the HSL dialog back and forth.

Richard Liu

• 5 months later...

I have just come across this issue today, i use Macbook pro 13inch 2019 and have just added ASUS PA247CV as a main monitor. 

HSL is as it should be on the Mac but just the L shaped portion on the monitor. Any idea when this will be looked at again?

I am running the latest versions of both affinity & MacOS.

• 11 months later...

I just came here to look for this bug and see if other's have seen it. It just popped up for the first time for me. 

Affinity 2.0.4. M2 MacBook Air. BenQ SW270C as primary monitor. Both displays are running at default resolution (i.e. the BenQ is at 2560x1440).

Possibly also relevant is that I have "Displays have separate Spaces" on under Mission Control.

Dragging the HSL dialog to the built-in display and back to the external display fixes the dialog box for me, too.

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

The issue "HSL adjustment and multiple screens: only a quarter of the colour spectrum circle is displayed" (REF: AF-88) has been fixed by the developers in build "2.4.0 Release".
This fix is in the current customer release.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us