You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[1.9.0.932] Can't place images until an artboard or object is selected

Let me start off by saying that yes, I know Photo doesn't support artboards. And yes, getting artboards into Photo is kind of an hack, but still worth mentioning.

1. Open a document with an artboard, in my case I used a template that has an artboard
  2. Without selecting anything, try to place an image using File > Place
  3. Notice you can only choose text files, no option for images
  4. Select the artboard, or an object inside it
  5. Go back to File > Place, now you can pick up images

See the attached video for a visual representation.

Also, how about starting supporting artboards in Photo? 😉

Thanks!

1 hour ago, LCamachoDesign said:

Also, how about starting supporting artboards in Photo?

May I ask what the reason is that you would like that?
The purpose of the artboards is to store multiple (vector) graphics within a project. From my point of view, this does not really make sense in connection with pixel graphics.

As you're on Windows, you can override the file selection in the File Explorer dialog when you use File > Place. Just type, for example, *.jpg, or some other filter string in the filename box.

Photo does support Artboards, if you have a document that contains them, though there are issues if you try that. But as Photo is primarily for photographs, which are a single-canvas kind of object, why do you need Artboards there. Just use Designer when you need that functionality.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Not really. Imagine a mockup file with 4 artboards, showing the front, back and 2 side of a box all at the same time. Each of these mockups is populated using the same embedded (now with 1.9 we can do linked) image file. If you want to see how a change will look like seen from all 4 sides of the box, you just update this one embedded file. If these were separate files, or multiple layers staked on top of each other, it would either not be possible to see all sides at one, or it would take longer to export each side and then reassemble the images elsewhere. Like this for example: Chocolate Bar Packaging Mockup by bangingjoints on Envato Elements

In any case, that's not the point. The artboards feature works fine in Photo, you just need to hack it in. The bug I mentioned is new though, it wasn't there in 1.8 as far as I remember at least (I've updated everything to 1.9 already).

36 minutes ago, LCamachoDesign said:

The artboards feature works fine in Photo, you just need to hack it in.

No, there are serious issues with artboard-based files in Photo.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

37 minutes ago, LCamachoDesign said:

Not really. Imagine a mockup file with 4 artboards, showing the front, back and 2 side of a box all at the same time. Each of these mockups is populated using the same embedded (now with 1.9 we can do linked) image file. If you want to see how a change will look like seen from all 4 sides of the box, you just update this one embedded file. If these were separate files, or multiple layers staked on top of each other, it would either not be possible to see all sides at one, or it would take longer to export each side and then reassemble the images elsewhere.

That seems reasonable, and perfectly feasible to do in Designer. Use the right tool for the purpose?

-- Walt
PC:

20 hours ago, LCamachoDesign said:

If these were separate files, or multiple layers staked on top of each other, it would either not be possible to see all sides at one, or it would take longer to export each side and then reassemble the images elsewhere.

If you place an image in a proprietary format (e.g. .afphoto or .psd), you can create as many copies as you like (Ctrl+J) and modify them. If you want to edit all instances together or exchange them for another image, do so in the original (double-click on an instance or click on button "Edit document"). You do not need the layer links for this.