You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

All 3 programs crash immediately on starting since 1.9 update

I've just updated all 3 programs to version 1.9 and now none of them will open (this is on Windows 10). When I run them I get the new splash screen, the program opens for a second and then immediately closes. No error message or anything. Version 1.8 worked just fine, and there haven't been any Windows updates since I switched from 1.8 to 1.9 (unless it installed one without me knowing).

Any help would be great as I really need them working as I've got work to do!

Edit: Just to add a bit more info. I'm running them on a Windows Surface Laptop 3. 16GB RAM, AMD Ryzen 5 Surface Edition.

Thanks!

You can look into various 1.9 crash post here. I made one where I detailed steps I took trying to fix it (worked for some) but for me nothing works.

I'd say if you have the link to updates in your browser history try uninstalling affinity and go back to last stable version. Which is not 1.9.

Windows 10, Affinity Designer + Photo (Graphic Design, photo-editing).

• Staff
On 2/9/2021 at 10:07 AM, Throne777 said:

I've just updated all 3 programs to version 1.9 and now none of them will open (this is on Windows 10). When I run them I get the new splash screen, the program opens for a second and then immediately closes. No error message or anything. Version 1.8 worked just fine, and there haven't been any Windows updates since I switched from 1.8 to 1.9 (unless it installed one without me knowing).

Any help would be great as I really need them working as I've got work to do!

Edit: Just to add a bit more info. I'm running them on a Windows Surface Laptop 3. 16GB RAM, AMD Ryzen 5 Surface Edition.

Thanks!

Hi Throne777,

I'm sorry to hear you are having crashes after the latest update please could you try the suggestions found here : 

@MikeDuf If you haven't already please could you also try this?

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

@Callum

The guide doesn't match up with what the folders are like.

So for me the file path is different:

Appdata / Roaming / Affinity /

(The three options in AppData was Local, LocalLow, and Roaming. Not sure why Affinity is in Roaming?)

Then there's Common, Designer, Photo, Publisher in the Affinity folder.

The 1.0 Settings folder for Common and Publisher are both empty.

The Settings folder for Designer and Photo contain the PerformancePreference file but it doesn't contain an entry for UseHardwareAcceleration

I assume that's not a good sign?