You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Creating half drop repeat patterns on version 1.9

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @AffinityAppMan,

My apologies for the delayed response here!

On 2/5/2021 at 4:47 PM, AffinityAppMan said:

is there a way to create “half drop” repeat patterns in version 1.9

You can create a New Pattern Layer from Selection in Affinity Photo 1.9 - this means you could create a 'half drop' pattern on a Pixel Layer, then select this and create a Pattern Layer from it, for example - 

On 2/6/2021 at 5:28 PM, AffinityAppMan said:

Also, Can I import other elements from another file or another layer to incorporate it into the repeat pattern layer?

Absolutely! The above was created using Vector ellipse quick shapes, which were then grouped and rasterised into a (Pixel) layer. You can create a Pattern Layer using any Pixel selection, so provided you import this element into Affinity, then rasterise the element to a (Pixel) layer, you can then create a Pixel selection of this and create your Pattern Layer.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 2/5/2021 at 4:47 PM, AffinityAppMan said:

is there a way to create “half drop” repeat patterns in version 1.9 or does it limit you to only single image simple even patterns?

One way to make a half drop pattern is to use an offset pair of pattern layers as in the document half drop.afphoto:

1. Create an empty Pattern Layer with a tile width that is equal to two columns of the required pattern.
  2. Place the tile design above the left half of the master tile of the Pattern Layer then do Merge Down to incorporate it into the Pattern Layer so the pattern is alternating filled and empty columns.
  3. Duplicate the Pattern Layer and position it so that its full columns occupy the empty columns of the original Pattern Layer.
  4. Optionally use the Merge Down command to make a single Pattern Layer.

1229647184_halfdropscreenshot.thumb.png.3351ff09c536d4659476019f9e628c3f.png

5 hours ago, Dan C said:

Also, Can I import other elements from another file or another layer to incorporate it into the repeat pattern layer?

Yes. Position any object above the master tile of a Pattern Layer and then use Merge Down command to incorporate into the Pattern Layer.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have just finished taking a course by Liz Kohler Brown on Skillshare in which she demonstrates using affinity designer for surface repeat patterns and demonstrates how to create a half drop pattern.  The problem I’m having is compatibility with illustrator.  I need to deliver ai files and I have some specific tasks I need to do in illustrator.  The only problem is that I can not seem to export a full pattern.  If I look at the tiny little symbol picture that contains all the elements that are reflected in the second artboard, That’s what I need to export.  Not the design with the contained square.   Please someone help!

• Staff

Hi @Brettha,

Welcome to the Affinity forums :)

13 hours ago, Brettha said:

The problem I’m having is compatibility with illustrator.  I need to deliver ai files and I have some specific tasks I need to do in illustrator.

Unfortunately the Affinity apps can't export to the .Ai file format, however you can export from Affinity using the PDF format for import into Illustrator.

13 hours ago, Brettha said:

The only problem is that I can not seem to export a full pattern.  If I look at the tiny little symbol picture that contains all the elements that are reflected in the second artboard, That’s what I need to export.  Not the design with the contained square.   Please someone help!

Unfortunately without seeing your document it would be hard to understand the issue you're reporting here - could you please upload a copy of your .afdesign file so we can further assist you here?

If you'd like the file to be kept private, please do let me know and I can provide a direct upload link that only Affinity can access.

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!