You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo - Unable to upgrade to 1.9 (Win 10)

I opened Infinity Photo 1.8 as usual and followed recommendation to upgrade to 1.9. The program opens a small page briefly then that disappears. I have tried several times, rebooting, with fresh downloads and uninstalling the "upgrade" but have had to go back to 1.8, which starts normally. Computer is Acer Swift SF114-32 Windows 10, Intel(R) Pentium (R) Silver N5000.

Hi! After upgrading from the latest 1.8 to 1.9 I'm unable to run Affinity Photo (or Designer). I'm not entirely sure if it's the same problem as OP's.

Once I run the app, the splashscreen appears and quickly disappears and nothing more.

In the Windows Event Viewer, I do get an error log from .NET Runtime (I do have the latest version of it installed).

I've tried to fully uninstall both Photo and Designer which I had installed on my PC but it didn't helped

Edited by Th3Alchemist

Hi @Callum,

I'm not sure how to capture the screen properly. I used win+alt+R to record it stage by stage, but I just did the starting point in 1.8 where it invited me to download 1.9, but that didn't show up in the video. But the post by Th3Alchemist sounds identical to what I experienced. Now I know what a splash screen is. No idea how to investigate Event Viewer.

Allan

This seems to be a rather common issue on notebooks with integrated Intel graphics cards. Make sure you have the latest (Jan 2021) driver from Intel installed. Note: Custom graphics drivers from your notebook manufacturer may seem current, despite being heavily outdated. You will have to get the latest drivers for your card directly from Intel's webite and install them manually.

Hi @IkariShinji29,Callum,Th3Alchemist

Updating the Intel graphics driver has done the trick. I went to the Intel site and downloaded the Intel Driver and Support Assistant which automatically checked my computer and gave me 3 updates to install, including the UHD Graphics 605.  Affinity Photo 1.9 appears to be working fine now.

Thank you,

Allan

38 minutes ago, AllanJ01 said:

Hi @IkariShinji29,Callum,Th3Alchemist

Updating the Intel graphics driver has done the trick. I went to the Intel site and downloaded the Intel Driver and Support Assistant which automatically checked my computer and gave me 3 updates to install, including the UHD Graphics 605.  Affinity Photo 1.9 appears to be working fine now.

Thank you,

Allan

I've tried it as suggested here. Unfortunately that didn't fix it for me

Edited by Th3Alchemist
link

1 hour ago, AllanJ01 said:

No idea how to investigate Event Viewer.

Allan

1. Press Windows Key + R and run eventvwr
  2. On the left sidebar, open up Windows Logs > Application. That's where you get the log list.
  3. Try opening Affinity Photo again. After failing, refresh the log list by right-clicking on the list and "Refresh". There you probably get a new error entry

1 hour ago, Th3Alchemist said:
  1. Press Windows Key + R and run eventvwr
  2. On the left sidebar, open up Windows Logs > Application. That's where you get the log list.
  3. Try opening Affinity Photo again. After failing, refresh the log list by right-clicking on the list and "Refresh". There you probably get a new error entry

Thanks for that. No idea what it all means, but Affinity 1.9 appears to be working fine, so hopefully I won't need to find out.

Allan

Same issue for me. I have publisher, design and photo. All 3 worked on 1.85. All 3 have failed after upgrading to 1.9. I get the splash page briefly then that disappears. I have updated all video drivers and firmware.

.NET Runtime      Event ID 1026     .Net framework is ver 3.5 and 4.8     Windows 10 20H2

Application: Photo.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
   at <Module>.Raster.Hardware<Raster::DefaultImplementation>.GetHardwarePossible()
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.Settings.PerformanceSettings..ctor()

Exception Info: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException
   at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(System.RuntimeType, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean ByRef, System.RuntimeMethodHandleInternal ByRef, Boolean ByRef)
   at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, System.Threading.StackCrawlMark ByRef)
   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(System.Type, Boolean)
   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(System.Type)
   at Serif.Affinity.Settings.SettingsService.Load(System.Type)
   at Serif.Affinity.Settings.SettingsService.Load(Boolean)
   at Serif.Affinity.Application.OnStartup(System.Windows.StartupEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1_0(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
   at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.CallbackWrapper(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
   at Photo.Application.Main(System.String[])

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff
On 2/5/2021 at 2:11 PM, Th3Alchemist said:

I've tried it as suggested here. Unfortunately that didn't fix it for me

Please could you try the latest beta build available from the beta section of the forums?

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/61-affinity-photo-beta-forums/

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• Staff
On 2/18/2021 at 1:46 AM, Cybersaver said:

I just installed the beta versions 1.9.1.252 of each program. I had to unplug my docking station, open the beta program, accept the terms and then it crashed. However if I open it again it works fine even after I plugged my docking station back in with my add on monitors.

Please could you if you haven't already try reinstalling the latest version of .Net?

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.