You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Change of language minor bug

Pedrober

4 hours ago, Pedrober said:

If I change the language of my document to a different one

There is no setting in Publisher (or other Affinity applications) for "language of the document". It would help if you can provide more details on exactly which language specification you used that exhibits this behavior.

Also, do you mean only "check spelling while typing" (the red underlines) is affected, or the other Spelling functions, too?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Dear Walt,

Excuse my lack of precision. I was referring to the fact of changing the Language setting in the Text Styles and to the "Check spelling while typing" red underlines. The Spelling function works as expected. So, it's a minor bug, as stated.

Regards.

Thanks for the clarification. It will help us investigate :)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Hi!

The behaviour is slightly different in the 1.9 version. Just start a new document with a very brief text. Language in Base style (applied): English-United Kingdom
. Check spelling when typing: activated.
 Now, switch the Base style language to a different one (Portuguese, for example). What happens in the screen? Absolutely nothing. When you start to edit the text, words start to be underlined in red here and there. Are you able to reproduce this?

Best regards.

• 4 months later...

Dear,

Regarding languages and spelling, I think that a "language of document" should be available, regardless of User Interface.
Possibly at in the Edit/Preferences/Auto correct screen.

The way I do work:

1) Affinity User Interface always in English (Edit/General)  I prefer to use "native" UI as there are some times strange UI translations.
2) Most of my documents are 100% French. Here I would use Edit/Preferences/Auto correct "French" as default value for all documents.
Presently I need to force upfront any new paragraph to French. Extra work.
3) I am also making multilingual documents. The most frequent mix is French/English/Dutch.

These documents are either French with quotes in other languages, or complete paragraphs in other languages, or multilingual documents with translations side by side.
Again Edit/Preferences/Auto correct "French" as default spelling would be a solution for me, with quotes/paragraph changed to other languages.

Regards, Philippe

3 hours ago, pdussart said:

Presently I need to force upfront any new paragraph to French. Extra work.

To make that easier, you can set the Paragraph Text Style named Base to use the French language. Or, perhaps better, create your own Paragraph Text Style named French, based on Base, and set it to use French as the Spelling Language. You can then tell Affinity to add that new Text Style to your list of default Text Styles, so it will be available in all future documents.

-- Walt
PC: