You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ignore all spelling errors that are emails or URLs

One of the most tedious parts of finalizing a Publisher file for print is the last spell check. Inevitably, it flags all emails and URLs as unknown words. I have to go through all of these, ignoring or 'adding to dictionary' just to find the few outliers.

Is there some way to tell Affinity to not bother with anything with an @? Or .com .net .org etc. in it?

Create a Character Text Style for your URLs and apply it to that text. In that text style, specify Language, Spelling as None.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Create a Character Text Style for your URLs and apply it to that text. In that text style, specify Language, Spelling as None.

I have it as a Character style. But I see no way to set a Character Style language....

WAIT! When did they add that? I swear I'd never seen a Language option under Character, only under Paragraph, so I have a bunch of Paragraph styles that should be text styles... OMG. Snake would have bit me.

So now I've done that, but it continues to mark them as incorrect unless I select reach one and reapply the style. Is there an 'update' button I'm missing?

36 minutes ago, Loquos said:

So now I've done that, but it continues to mark them as incorrect unless I select reach one and reapply the style. Is there an 'update' button I'm missing?

The should be no need to do a manual update. Changing the language should take immediate effect, just as changing any other attribute of the character style would.

But if you've also been trying to apply paragraph text styles with languages perhaps you've done an override to the character styles, requiring you to reapply them.

Try it with some fresh text. If changing the language in the Character style doesn't take effect automatically you may have found a bug.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I didn't see any unusual overlaps, but I did have to manually refresh to get it to accept that I had changed the language. I'll mess around in the back end a bit more later, and see if I can discover the underlying problem. Otherwise, I'll report a bug. 🙂 Thanks!