You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer crashes sporadically when joining curve nodes

XenPhi

Hi there,

on my iPad, I have a reoccurring issue with the node tool. Sometimes, when I try to join the nodes of two separate curves with the "Join Curves" button, the app crashes. It ends itself without any dialog or warning and returns to the desktop. Until now, the problem vanished when I restarted the iPad, but right now, I have a document where it persists. I can copy the document on my laptop and join the nodes there, which works fine. When I copy the modified document back to the iPad, I can continue to work, but sometimes, the problem persists with some other nodes or when I try to add nodes to the curve. Sometimes not.

I've attached the affected document. It contains a single artboard named "Normal" with a group called "Prep" and a sub-group "Bushes left". If I try to join the first and the last curve in this sub-group by selecting the end nodes of the curves where they are closest together (in the "middle" of the bushes), the app crashes. I hope you can reproduce this bug on your hardware and debug it properly.

As some kind of side effect, sometimes prior to the crash, I have problems selecting curves or nodes. When I try to tap on a curve, it does not get selected or it gets only highlighted in the layers panel and is not selected on the canvas. At least not visually. I can change properties of the curve, but I miss the blue rectangle (in Move Tool mode) or the nodes (in Node Tool mode). This looks like a graphical bug and it seems to occur together with the behaviour I described above. This graphic error disappears when I return to the document selection and re-open the document. But it can re-appear.

All in all, it's very sporadic and occurs mostly when I work with the Node tool and consecutively join curves like I described above (I usually draw outlines of my objects with the pencil and then join those outline curves to get areas to paint on). I have to do this a lot in my workflows, so I hope you can fix this bug and tell me when there's a fix or a new version available.

I use Affinity Designer V1.8.6  and iOS 14.3 on an iPad Pro 12.9 inch (3rd gen) with Apple Pencil 2.

Best, Markus

Variations.afdesign

10 hours ago, XenPhi said:

All in all, it's very sporadic and occurs mostly when I work with the Node tool

@MattP Crashed first attempt for me using latest beta too.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

I also experience crashes, lately constant shortly after opening a work file for a foto book, but not with the node function but with the simple drag'n drop of pictures from my finder to a frame in the document. First the program announced me low disc space (and it actually filled my hard disc with more than 100GB (!) on the system area so at the end it slows down the system until complete hault. I can't empty the system area ocupation but only with restart of my MacBook Air (with 500GB SSD). As mentioned above now the program doesn't let me work any more and shuts down without notice ( a crash report appears ca. 5 minutes after the crash!) right after the first intent to import a picture. I recently updated to the newest version of the publisher (1.8.6), my OSX is 10.14.6.