You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Greetings, 

I'm sure this may have been answered already, but I am having a big problem with exporting in Publisher and Designer. I'm really hoping someone can help with this... 

I've created a book cover for print, for a spiral bound book (which does not have a spine), and even though I have made the document with a transparent background, I always get a white background on PDF export.  

I have tried pretty much all exporting options. I have even exported front and back cover separately and then placed them in a full spread document, but still there is a white background where there should be a transparent one. 

Since my book is not published yet I've covered the artwork with rectangles, however the artwork for both front and back cover is fully rasterized (except for text which I choose to export as curves). 

Does anyone have any ideas? 

Does this happen upon grouping certain layers? Or maybe a bug with the Designer cropping tool?

I also tried the solutions on both of these forums, but with no success:

White bleed exporting bug

Bleed always white

Document.png

PDF Export.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 1.41.41 PM.png

Transparency always showed in preview before I upgraded to Big Sur recently.

Upon selecting and de-selecting "Show Document Background" in preview, nothing changes. 

Also, opening the document in Adobe Reader, or re-loading the PDF into Designer or Publisher still shows a white background. 

6 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Hi @MTON1826,

PDF is always transparent. It's the app you use to preview it that's adding transparency. If you preview it in acrobat with Page Display > Show transparency grid active you gonna see it's transparent. Or even using File > Place in our app. 

That is what I would say. If you take that PDF and drop it back in Publisher or designer on top of a solid green box you will see it is transparent. If I were to to the same thing in Indesign the PDF preview would be white though it would actually be transparent. 

I made a box with solid purple, did a compound path for a circle so it would be see through. Export as PDF. Opened in Acrobat and Preview as you can see from the screen shots. It looks white. Drop the same PDF back in Indesign on an image and you see it is transparent. 

That being said, seeing as this is for print it does not matter if it is transparent or white, it will print the same. The printer will not print white and will leave it blank so you see the paper stock.

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 9.54.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 9.52.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 9.54.00 AM.png