You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm feeling frustrated! I've followed the tutorial and watched the video and opened the 'size document' tab in 'Document' on  Infinity Photo. Loaded my chosen photo which I wanted to reduce in size; it is originally approx 12 MB. followed the correct instructions as shown in the video and the tutorial and selected a lesser pixel number, and 'bilinear' (which is used to reduce the size of an image) however, I found that having saved my new resized photo it made it bigger!! Can anyone explain what is wrong please ?

What format did you save it as? If it as saved as an .afphoto file (the default), then it might well be bigger. These file contain extra data which bulk up the size. Try exporting (File > Export) as a tiff format (or even a jpg file).

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

4 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

What format did you save it as? If it as saved as an .afphoto file (the default), then it might well be bigger. These file contain extra data which bulk up the size. Try exporting (File > Export) as a tiff format (or even a jpg file).

John

would stay away from TIFF, those are generally larger. I saved a jpg from photoshop, some random photo. Jpg was was 334kb. Same file saved as TIFF was 4.5mb

14 hours ago, wonderings said:

would stay away from TIFF, those are generally larger. I saved a jpg from photoshop, some random photo. Jpg was was 334kb. Same file saved as TIFF was 4.5mb

Now that is a choice between compressed and uncompressed image. TIF is uncompressed and can be opened and saved repeatedly without losing quality.

OK, TIF is LOSLESS, while usually has simple compression.

14 hours ago, wonderings said:

What is the photos original DPI and what did you change it to? Does not add up if you reduced it and you now get a larger file. It could be the image is actually a lower DPI then what you thought and the DPI you want is actually higher. 

Thanks for your reply. the original is 12.6 MB with a 300 dpi which I changed to something lower along with the pixels (original size 6000 x 4000), I then did a simple 'save as' but instead of reducing in size the photo then became at least 30MB! very odd seeing that the video tutorial, which was easy to follow, indicated that this would reduce the size of the file. I'm confused :( but I did manage to reduce my photo by going into a 'File' > 'export' and choosing the jpeg option; seems to be the only thing that works, very odd. 

30 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

Surely TIFF supports compression, by default the ZIP, but also LZW. It is a matter of choosing lossless compression (TIFF format), none (fully compatible with any app that supports TIFF), and lossy compression (JPG, always losing quality, unless using JPG2000 etc., not supported by Affinity apps):

filesizes.jpg.cf4c29335c434c9d2eb0369aeac044f7.jpg

Thanks for the tip, useful to know :)