You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cropping, -excess doesn't disappear

Hi, I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't find it.

I have a photo, cropped and I want to extend the canvas. 

The excess is "coming back" no matter how I try to do it.

This has happened to me before when I tried to make a composite. 

My workaround is to copy and make a new document, but.. when I'm compositing, it's no solution.

If there's something I can do in preferences, I'll be happy! I'll attach some screenshots, but I'm unsure of the order.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Hi Paul!

That's a little different. Thanks for the tip.. but that takes a lot of guess work, doesn't it?

I have to guess how many pixels the new mask/crop is (ie. if I don't want to keep the with, and just extend the height).. -or?

I think it's more difficult to make the rectangular marquee tool exactly the size I want it. (Doesn't it require you to refine selection to tweak it a little?)

I wish the flexibility of the crop tool.

I'm sure I'm missing something? Please forgive me for beeing so thick. ;)

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Thank you both. Now I have the tools to skin the cat. ;)

Well, I didn't think of rasterizing. I think that was what I needed in this case.

EDIT:

I still get the excess.. Well I don't get the pixels, but the size still stays the same.

Steps: Crop, apply crop, rasterize, extend canvas.

The size of the original background layer is still there. I have to crop it one more time (or guess the with of the cropped canvas). Then I have to use the fill tool and the marquee tool to get the extended canvas the colour I want. I's a little timeconsuming, I think.

EDIT: When I unlock and rasterize before I'm cropping, I just get the straighten tool.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

This is what I'm aiming for. 

Here I used the mask and marquee tool. I still got the excess pixels and had to crop afterwards. 

And make a selection to fill the extra canvas.

Sorry to be so difficult. 

post-14034-0-95307500-1442226413_thumb.png

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Now I believe to see your point, Madame, let me apologize. You don’t want to have the empty margins to the left and to the right of your image, do you?

So you have to untick the Proportional Resize option (padlock) when rescaling the canvas. Then you can enter values independently. If you don’t mind being destructive, then you could do the following:

• Crop your image
  • Rasterise
  • Rescale the canvas, untick the padlock, enter desired values
  • Recolour the excess

Does that help?  :)

post-1198-0-87828400-1442228465_thumb.png

• 4 years later...

I have been struggling with this for hours.

I want to crop a figure in Affinity Photo to remove all of the excess (i.e. I only want the area inside the crop margins to remain and nothing outside).

When I crop the figure and then paste into another composite figure I am putting together in Affinity Designer it brings all of the excess that I don't want.

It seems to be simply restricting the area that is visible, but not removing anything.

Any advice on what I am doing wrong or alternatives ways of destructive cropping of a figure?

Thanks