You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Snap to grids/guide when not visible

When snapping to grids or guides is enabled I'd like it to work, even if the grid or guides are not displayed.  It is a bit odd to see the snaps toggle button "enabled" but not have the snapping functionality working.  If I have a fine grid (e.g. millimetres) I may not want the grid display confusing my view, but still want any objects created or vertices moved to obey the snap settings. A grid should still exist even if it's not visible; if I don't want snapping then I should turn snapping off. That seems logical to me...and other software UI designers. Cheers!

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

For Grids just go into the Grid Manager and set the Opacity of the lines to zero, objects will still snap to them

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

+1 Yes, please. Grid "visibility" and snapping "activity" are two completely different and independent properties.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

15 hours ago, AndyQ said:

When snapping to grids or guides is enabled I'd like it to work, even if the grid or guides are not displayed.  It is a bit odd to see the snaps toggle button "enabled" but not have the snapping functionality working.  If I have a fine grid (e.g. millimetres) I may not want the grid display confusing my view, but still want any objects created or vertices moved to obey the snap settings. A grid should still exist even if it's not visible; if I don't want snapping then I should turn snapping off. That seems logical to me...and other software UI designers. Cheers!

Works when you uncheck "Only snap to visible objects".

1238020824_ScreenShot2021-01-01at6_23_56AM.png.960c57a4b5958fea624acaa6dac075d3.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

7 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Works when you uncheck "Only snap to visible objects".

Doh! Thanks for that! There is, however, the side affect is that it'll also snap to hidden geometry if you also have any of the related object snapping options selected, meaning you couldn't have a setup that snaps to hidden grid but only visible objects (not objects on hidden layers). That's something you might want to do if you have a very dense and complicated drawing and need to get some layers out of the way. 

It seems there are some logical knots in this interface that limit the number of possible snapping scenarios. Replacing "only snap to visible objects" with three options: "snap to hidden grids", "snap to hidden guides" and "snap to hidden objects" would be one way to open this up. That way the drop-down is a list of enabled snapping options, not a mix of enabled and disabled. The alternative (simpler but far less flexible) option is to get rid of the "only snap to visible objects" and assume that all snapping options refer to both visible/hidden objects, and the snap on/off toggle does the work of a global switch. I can see that might be confusing so at the moment I can't think what the best solution might be for both flexibility and ease-of-understanding. 

Cheers!

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM