You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

All tools default to selecting old layers?

Any tool I use, if I try to line it up with the edge of another item in the drawing, tries to select that item instead. 

Like, I want to draw a rectangle that starts where another rectangle ends. I put my mouse over the corner of the other rectangle. I expect what's going to happen is it's going to snap to the corner of the old rectangle. Instead what happens is the tooltip turns into a corner modifier for the other rectangle and starts to modify that rectangle instead of drawing a new one.

This happens for all the tools I regularly use: If I try to draw a text box at the edge of another feature, it modifies the old feature instead of snapping to it. 

I don't know what I did to get into this mode, but I want out. Why are all the tools selecting my old work, instead of snapping to my old work, and how to I make it stop?

Unselect object/rectangle in Layers panel, press Esc. 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• Staff

Hi @baudot,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

As Psenda has mentioned above, if you deselect the already drawn object first, then you should find you're able to draw another object snapped to any outside edge correctly.

If you're still having trouble, pleaser provide a screen recording showing your workflow, many thanks in advance :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2020 at 6:17 AM, Dan C said:

As Psenda has mentioned above, if you deselect the already drawn object first, then you should find you're able to draw another object snapped to any outside edge correctly.

The problem with pressing esc is that all laters are deselected so the new layer will then be on the top of the layer panel's list.  If you are woking with a huge list of layers and the new layer belongs many pages down, then it's a pain having to go to the top and drag it back to where it's wanted.

I find that rather than esc, click on another layer that is very close in the layer panel, but not adjacent to the new shape.

Or, draw the new shape slightly to the side of the adjacent shape, then drag the shape or the adjacent nodes back into the proper position.

It would be nice to have a modifier that would stop this issue, but I don't have an idea of how it would function.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra