You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

beta 1.3.5.1 pdf-x export problems

Art text that is both stretched and stroked isn't imported by Illustrator correctly. As a workaround you can convert it to curves yourself, either manually per-object just before exporting, or else by setting Embed fonts to Text as Curves. In the next beta it will be converted to curves automatically (unless Allow advanced features is checked).

Hi Dave.

Just tried this in the new 5.5 beta, and yes, it works now that the text is automatically converted to curves.  However, if the 'Allow advanced features' is checked, then the problem is - as you suggested - the same as before, but the old error message is also back when opened in Illustrator!

Also, what exactly does the 'Allow advanced features' actually do apart from cancel convert to curves?

The checkbox switches off the PDF features that Illustrator doesn't understand. Currently that means rasterising fills and transparency groups, and converted the text to curves. If we find other limitations of other apps, I'll probably put them on the same checkbox. So yes, if you check it you will get the warning messages back.

That checkbox was added in the previous beta, and if you had checked it then, you'd have got the error message then. I'm guessing you didn't, because I didn't highlight that the checkbox was added then.

The checkbox is to work around limitations of Illustrator. You should only check it if you are creating PDFs to be used directly for printing, or for Acrobat or some other app that understands PDF correctly. Then it will produce smaller, better quality output. But if you load those files into Illustrator, Illustrator will issue warnings and/or render them wrongly. We can't fix Illustrator; we can only simplify our output until it understands it.

Thanks again, Dave.  I'm not trying to be awkward about this, just trying to understand what's going on.

As you well know, this is an important issue as most clients use Illustrator, so it is essential to fully understand the relationship between it and Designer pdfs.

Where is this check box documented?  What limitations does it work around?  It would be useful to know.

Thanks again.

I doubt its documented anywhere yet. Currently it causes gradient fills and transparency groups to be rasterised, and text with a stretch and stroke to be converted to curves. If we come across other issues with other apps, I'll probably add them to the same checkbox.

Where is this check box documented?  What limitations does it work around?  It would be useful to know.

Dear imacken,

The Allow advanced features option is documented in the Export Options panel Help topic (try searching "allow advanced" from the Help menu).

As Dave has mentioned, they'll keep updating the functionality of this option as they go along. I, or another member of the the documentation team, will try and keep up with tracking them in the Help but occasionally this might get out of sync.

Many thanks.

Edited by nravenlock
quote added

Ah OK, thanks for that.  So it only has to do with gradients then? Is that right?

Dear imacken,

No, as Dave mentioned, it also refers to text (which has been stretched or has a stroke applied) and transparency groups as well. However, this is one of those times when the Help topic is out of sync with the features in the app - the devs just keep adding things so quickly!

Many thanks.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.